21W Slimline Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gillty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Dear Dive Rite Gurus,

I have had a 21W Slimline for about a year now and have about 2 dozen dives on it. Today I was charging it up as normal. When it was done I unplugged the charger cord from the wall then picked up the battery pack and the battery was pretty hot. Now not hot enough that it would burn your hand but it did seem hotter than I remember on previous chargings.

Here's what worries me though...When I picked the light up off of the floor it was slightly stuck to the carpet. After further inspection I noticed that there was a very small amount of what appeared to be hot glue that had melted out of the top of the battery pack and stuck to the carpet.

What is up with this battery pack? Is this something that is going to need to be replaced? I wouldn't be to worried about it but I have a good friend who bought his light (also a 21W Slimline) about the same time I bought mine and his has had to go back to Dive Rite twice now.

Thanks,

Gillty

The battery packs do get hot right after they reach their full charge, but not so much as to make it so you couldn't touch it. So, that's normal. The glue coming out of it is OK, as well. We have since gotten away from using that hot glue because of this.... but it is NOT a problem -- your battery will keep on functioning just fine.

Safe diving, Jordan

Thanks for the info. I heard you guys have a program to upgrade the 21W to the 24W light. What does that consist of and what does it usually retail for?

Gillty

It's $250 and that consists of putting 24 W parts inside your current light head. You will undoubtedly enjoy the flicker-free bright white light that the 24 has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom