DIR/Hogarthian configuration question -- Dive Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xoomboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Question: If one were to choose the DIR configuration as their setup for openwater, where would the dive flag/line be attached?

In my opinion and from the research I've done, it makes sense to me to adopt a DIR configuration for the diving I'll be doing (abandoned pots/line, netting, stuck anchors, stuff to get tangled in, etc.).

The pictures I've seen, and the discussions I've read are geared mostly toward cave and wreck diving, where you wouldn't necessarily have a flag on your actual person.

So where should I attach the flag? I found one perspective saying to clip it onto the crotch strap D-ring, but this doesn't sit right with me?

Thanks,

Matt

The dive flag shouldn't be attached to you. I have mine attached to a reel and I just guide it with my hand by the line (doing the 'ok' around the line with my fingers so I'm not holding the line and the flag can still go up and down with the waves on the surface).

So you just put the reel in the general area and hang onto it while you're working or doing something?

what if you need both hands for something?

Never attach your flag to your person...

If I need both hands for something, I either hand the flag off to my buddy [and don't volunteer to take it back :)], or wedge it under a rock.

Does carrying it on one of those wound spool-thingies with your arm through the hoop count as "attached"?

Just wondering, because that seems to be what a lot of the divers around here do, from what I've observed.

Matt

I would really urge you not to attach your flag to your person.

The risk just isn't worth it. Boats regularly seem to disregard the flag law and the mandatory distance they must put between themselves and the flag. If a boat, on purpose or on accident, happens to run over the flag and the line catches on...whatever...you do not want to be dragged out to sea or faced with the task of trying to release yourself from the line while being dragged at that speed with that kind of pressure on the line.

If I need both my hands, I typically give the flag to a buddy, or secure the line under a rock if near the bottom, or (in no current), simply let it hang free for a couple of seconds...

Matt

xoomboy once bubbled...
Does carrying it on one of those wound spool-thingies with your arm through the hoop count as "attached"?

Do you want my official answer, or my "don't listen to me, I'm a moron" answer?

My official answer... yes, that counts as attached.

I'm not going to state my unofficial answer...

KK Matt stated...
or (in no current), simply let it hang free for a couple of seconds...

With the "wound spool-thingies", they float. Somewhere in the NELD forum therre is a thread where someone decided to keep score on who lost who's flag... Most of those involved an underwater comment of "S**T THOSE THINGS FLOAT!"...

Every conceivable risk that you can think of should always be weighed against the obvious...

A flag is a 30 dollar easily replaceable item that can be purchased at any and every LDS I have ever been to in New England.

In that light...any risk with the flag is too much of a risk.

IMHO,
Matt

You've seen somebody jerked through the water by a jet ski or even worse a boat.

I saw one jerked through the water by a jet ski.

All jet skiiers must die!

"future jet skiier serial killer"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom