Sp MK17/G250HP vs XTX 200/100/50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would appreciate some advice on which regulator set up should go for. I got rid a few weeks ago of a jacket style BC/ Air II for a DSS/LCD 30/hog rig (I couldn't be happier by the way). I would like to start diving doubles in the near future and maybe even taking a DIR-F class.

My current regulator is a SP MK16/390 and I have narrowed down my choices to the SP Mk17/G250 and any of the Apeks XTX200/100/50. I have read great things about apeks’ performance in cold water and great hose routing. I should mention that I'll be diving around PA, NJ, and maybe NC. So, my question will be, is there a big difference between these 2 set ups? I was thinking about using the 390 as an octopus, but I don't know if it’s ok to have regs from different manufacturers i.e. xtx100/sp390.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I am using atx 200, the xtx should is even better in terms of work of breathing, then one magazine (UK) also measured Mk17 with a wob lower than xtx 200. My guess is, both are v. good, besides that, Mk17 cost less. If you want to save a few bugs for other toys, Mk17 can be a good choice. If you end up with Apeks, I would also say good choice and good taste as well.

If I were you I'd ask for users from both sides.

Unless you're sure you need the sealed first, why not stay with the MK16 and buy a G250 2nd, then relegate your 390 to back up. IMO best would be a good condition used G250, one of the older styles ones that has the metal air barrel. I'd be surprised if you could tell any difference in performance between the MK16 and 17.

Thank you for the advice. I'll probably go with the mk17/g250 since I have a great discount at my lds.

Back
Top Bottom