Double bladder vs. Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveW

Reaction score
I tried to find the answer to this question in old threads but couldn't. I did see it asked, but it was promptly answered with "clean up your own house before asking this question" or something similar. The argument against having a double bladder wing is it an answer in search of a problem. You should be properly weighted and not need one. Sounds like good advice for any kind of diving. Overweighing is not as bad in a drysuit because you have redundant buoyancy. My question is: what issues are with double bladders that are not there with a drysuit. Same number of hoses valves and so on. It is no more complex. The extra inflator valve is the same kind you deal with every dive. Keep the spare unplugged and the leakage problem is no real issue. You must be kidding about extra drag when compared to a tri-lam drysuit. I have had this discussion with others and it turns into an infinite loop argument. Of course someone may give me a simple answer where I will just go ahh I understand.

Nice thread Steve..I look forward to all the responses.

I believe in the double bladder myself and I use a drysuit.
for me I use a small argon bottle to fill my drysuit and Hypothermia is a real issue where i dive.

so if my bladder fails and i did not have a second one I would forced to use my drysuit, i would first run out of argon fairly quickly, and when i did then i would need to use gas that is planned as a breathing gas.

i would never want to use my back gas as it always has Helium in it. I don't want to use my 100 or 80 percent as that is part of my bailout [the extra time at my shallow deco required if i loose a gas and have to switch to one like back gas for mid range deco]

so i am left with carring an extra hose on my 36 or 32 percent deco gas to offset the short commings of the deco bottle. this is the same as having an extra hose on my back gas to supply the redundent bladder. I do not hook it up unless I need it.

I do understand that I could have a larger argon bottel but this just adds to the whole drag issue, and i just don't need the larger bottle with a redundent bladder.

also if you have bungied bladder then it stays fairly small having way less drag, and the air in it does not move around from side to side durring the dive.

well i jumped in with both feet lets see where it goes, I too am open to learning but closed to critisism

Halycon doesn;t make a dual bladder... Thant should answer your question...

Personally When Diving doubles I always dive a double bladder.. When I start a dive with twin 95 pumped to 35-3800, and carry 2 al 80s (travel and deco gas), I am very negative at the start of a dive, then add 2 reels, 2 or 3 lights (1 being a canister), and don't forget the tools, Hammer, crowbar, chisel, ect (on a recovery dive).. assorted wrenches(for port holes!) God only knows how negative I am..

it would be nice to keep weather or not it is DIR out of this and just discuss the pros and cons. then you decide for yourself if you wish to apply it.

do do anything just because it is or isn't DIR.

From what I've read, DIR says double bladders are unsafe because if an inflator gets stuck open, then you have to waste time figuring out which one is stuck. They also say it is extra baggage that is not necessary.

Personally I don't dive a drysuit so I think double bladders are a good idea.

Let's keep DIR out of one thread.

Double bladders are an alternative, although they require extra care and mucho practice. You have to find a logical way to stow the alternate inflator.
We used them in Alaska at 350+ because you don't want to lose a bladder and be stuck controlling buoyancy with a drysuit in crappy weather, rough currents, and very little viz. In some of the big caves I will use a double bladder also (try diving tight cave using a drysuit for buoyancy). I always use a double wing in the ocean if diving in a wet suit.

Some will say dive dry. If I'm doing deco in 80 degree water, I wanna feel the water. If it's cold water, the drysuit is there too.

Cheers and safe diving

hey sherp

what extra practice do you see them needing.

good points by the way

It's easy to stow the extra inflator. I put a bungee loop through a hole in the BP (drilled to be in correct place) to hold the inflator in place out of entanglement's way. The practice comes from reaching the hose, then adjusting LP inflator hose around head to clip in, then tucking under extra bungee loop behind right chest D-ring, then connecting.

This takes about 6 to 8 seconds after PRACTICE, but practice is necessary.

For those that think drysuit is the answer for backup buoyancy, try coming through Harper Tunnel (which is a pretty easy passage) at LR using your drysuit for buoyancy. You will be blind in a matter of minutes. I prefer to not be blind if I can help it

I haven't had a bladder failure
I use Dive Rite and Halcyon wings. The Dive Rite double wing that I use was the same wing used on the Lusitannia by my instructor. It is still in great shape.
Cheers and safe diving

There may be a better way to stow the other inflator, but I haven't deducted anything. If someone has a better idea, please let me know!!
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom