cave life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watergal

Reaction score
Well, after years of guides telling me that there are no diveable cave systtems on Cozumel, we finally got into 2 of them this summer. I was absolutely stunned by the amount of life in the Paraiso system and how far it extended back past the cavern zone. 1000' in we were still seeing large numbers of brittle stars and patches of sponge.

Can anyone clue me into to the oxygenation in the system and how so much can live in the absence of light? I have been in 17 other systems now and this was a first; i have no idea how to even start to figure out how it works.

Thanks,

cave diver but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. I've been in a few of the land based caves and one with a river that runs through it near the bottom(Mammoth Cave). There were several species of critters in there that lived in total darkness. Evolutionary adaptation would seem to be at work here.

As for the oxygenation-- I would think that it would be from freshwater flowing through the cave systems. It could be that the living things that you saw there are living at the limit of their ability to exist.

Just my $0.01 worth.

Sounds very exciting
Please tell us more about the system as it sounds like paradise

Would love to tell more, but I don't know much--hence the cry for help!

I can tell you that no fresh water was involved. The only penetrable entrance to Paradiso is about 800' inland from the island shoreline. The guide called it "meteor cenote", dunno if the locals use a Spanish name or Mayan, but it is a local swimming hole filled with brackish (i.e. tastes very salty) water. There is a halocline at about 20 feet to even saltier water.

The guide told us it "had a lot of life" which I arrogantly disbelived expecting the smattering of shrimp, crayfish, hopelessly lost bait fish, worms, bacteria etc. encountered in other systems. WRONG! The first 300-600' (didn't map, was too busy gawking) was at least 30% covered with patches of sponge, buttons of hard coral, thosands of worms and 10,000+ starfish as well as the expected shrimp, bacteria layer, and probably other inverts which I am not qualified to identify.

At 600-1200' (or so) it petered out to brittle stars and small buttons of sponge, then beyond that just rare brittle stars.

What I can tell you--like most of the Yucatan systems, it was once an air cave. The back passages have been tagged "Wonderland" for the formations. Depth 15-55 feet (average about 30'), light flow. We did not encounter any other entrances/sinkholes/light, nor did the map or guide mention any. Guide did not mention if if ever reversed, but no trash was seen in the passages and considering the number of locals using it, and the trash at the acess, it seems unlikely.

Technically, not too challenging. We did the fist dive with only back gas turning at a chimney which, per the map dropped again and would have been messy near deco limits; the second with 1 stage, turning at a restriction and the third was a 1 stage "trust me" double circuit which brought my control neurosis out for all to see.

The guide said that cave biologists consider it one of the most biodiverse caves in the world. While my limited experience should not be anyone's gold standard, I can certainly see why. I know of no other cave environment to compare it to.

The other system which actually extends into Chankannab (sp?) park was more difficult, both in access (take DEET!) and as a dive with an average depth of 15-18'. There was the standard scattered life in the first few hundred feet. I did not ask if the 2 systems were connected.

The other thing I find mindboggling is that I would guess that over the past 5 years I have asked 20-30 different local dive operation employees about cave systems on the island and have always gotten the same answer, "No cave dives, cenote tours. No caves on Cozumel; we do cave trips on the mainland." It is a damn lie (can we still use that word here?). Don't believe it! Like comparing watermelon, pineapple, cherries, and peaches, I find myself utterly unable to pick a favorite cave dive--they are too different in character--but this was up there for pure awe factor and I heartily recommend it.

So, what about MY question?
Why is it always about you guys? Whaddabout ME?!:winkbl:

That's pretty cool Watergal
I didn't realize coral could grow in the dark. Can you be more descriptive about the dive itself? I am very interested in this find:)

I am not a marine biologist.

That being said corals are the only ones that have any reliance on photosynthesis and thats with the algae that they have a symbiotic relationship with.

Sponges are filter feeders. As long as there are proper nutrients in the water they should do fine. Star fish are hunters they don't rely on sunlight to feed either.

With the light flow the water will remain properly oxygenated as you would have to count on it being sea water. It soulnds like you have a really neat ecosystem. I would love to see it. When I get cave certified I'll make the trip.

TwoBit

I have no answer, but maybe some help. Try contacting the Quintana Roo Speleological Society. While they are a group for the caves on the mainland, the have much more experience in saltwater caves and marine life that could enhabit them. They might be able to give you some sort of answer, or point you in the direction of a biologist who can.

http://www.caves.org/project/qrss/qrss.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom