Local diveshop overcharge????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kirk

Reaction score
My local dive shop sold me a "top of the line" Sherwood (Trek) BCD for $500. I have been finding that brand (not that model) all over the internet for far cheaper. I'm a fairly new diver, rescue certified working on divemaster, but have never bought a BCD of my own. I feel like I'm getting the shaft here....any comments welcome.

Kirk:confused:

Welcome to the boards, Kirk!

A quick answer to your question is that your lds basically has a low volume, high margin product and many services business model to stay afloat. The internet stores have a high volume, low margin product and little to no services business model.

To learn more about this I'd recommend browsing through the General Equipment Discussions forum. This topic has be hashed through many, many, many times. :D

BTW, you're not "getting the shaft" ... you're helping your lds stay in business.

You're going to find higher prices at a shop that has overhead and service that online sellers don't. Those are the pros and cons. I tend to buy exposure suits and regulators in shops and other gear online or 800 number.

Welcome to the world of retail. Scuba gear isn't much different than watches, stereo equipment, or cameras. As a mater of fact, I understand one of the big online scuba dealers is owned by the same firm that has been selling cameras for decades.

"Grey market" has all the same issues in scuba as it does in the other categories, with the added complication that if your camera craps out, you can still breathe.

That said, a lot of my gear is from the more reputable mail-order sources. And a lot of it is from a LDS that knows I know the online prices, and "helps" in pricing, within their dealer constraints. I have found if you mix in a bunch of non-mainline things with your big purchases, I can get "equivalent value" to online, or close enough that I'm willing to do my business locally. Amazing how quickly things like spare mask straps, hose protectors, bags, fish books, bolt snaps, lights, etc., addd up!

Scuba gear isn't much different than watches, stereo equipment, or cameras.

I strongly disagree on this. A failure with a watch or stereo equipment or camera can't cost you your life. They are also sold in every mall and major shopping area. Scuba gear isn't like this.

TwoBit

This is common knowledge for many of you:

The manufacturer's would LOVE to sell to anyone who wants to carry a line.. however, the LDS's would like to carry lines that are not 'available' via the net or mailorder. So when Suunto Rep or another approaches a dive shop, there is a much greater chance that the LDS will carry them if they can say they ONLY have authorized LDS dealers and no online dealers. That said, there is a hundred different ways that an online company like LP can get the goods (they do have a retail store).. they just can't offer the manufs. warranty online etc. You think this is all done without any knowledge or help from the manuf???? haha, think again in some cases... Remember the goal is to sell as MANY UNITS as possible, not sell only to our best friends, the LDS's. A lot of times, the online stores will buy from a distributor.. The dist. may only be authorized to sell ONLY to LDSs.. but not everyone is so ethical. The manufs know this... it's definitely don't ask don't tell..

I've seen this happen so often in home/mobile electronics and auto parts. Sad but true.. it WILL hurt the LDS, but it's tough for most people to pay $1000 for something they can get online for $600.

So, I prefer to buy things that are fit-specific from the LDS, and the rest online. That way I land somewhere in the middle for pricing.. besides, I like to poke my head in to the LDS from time to time for something other than just a fill...

Just my $0.02

Bzl

Hey Kirk, I'm just curious. How does someone complete BOW, AOW, Rescue and work towards Divemaster without ever having bought his own BC? Unless you rent the same one from the same shop each time, you're using different equipment every time you dive. Isn't familiarity with your equipment one of the things they teach?

Ken

Beezle once bubbled...
<snip>

So, I prefer to buy things that are fit-specific from the LDS, and the rest online. ...

Bzl

This is what a lot of dive shops rely on. The prices on fit specific items usually have the biggest mark-up. Go to dive-inn and check out the mask prices to see this in action.

Through some dive training systems its possible to start at BOW and go straight thru to Rescue with a minimum number of dives. I believe that it would be possible to complete with nine dives.

4 OW
3 AOW as long as the other two specialties don't require dives
2 Rescue.

Dive master does require a minimum number to finish. I can't recall what that is.

Do it whout out your own stuff... easy.

TwoBit

I tend to support my LDS. I note the original poster has NOT found the same model BC, just the same brand. He could therefore be comparing a basic vest (online) to a weight integrated (LDS) or similar.
My biggest reason for supporting my LDS is AIR. Without air fills, the rest of my gear is pretty useless. For most LDS, air fills are not very profitable (cost of compressor, maintenance, elecric), but are provided because the rest of the gear is useless without air. In fact my local LDS now provides me with FREE air, due in part to customer loyalty. Don't forget (as mentioned previously), your LDS has higher overhead then the online vendor and a smaller potential market. They also stand behind their products, I know of a couple of cases where they pushed through warranties where the mfg was hesitant to admit fault. And I've had them loan me gear n/c from their rental dept, so I could dive while waiting for service (parts) to mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom