Tekna vs. Apollo vs. Mako vs. Farallon DPV Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benthos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So I know that the Gavin/X-scooter are the way to go but after a few years I'm sure they can be had for less than $3000 used. So in the mean time I'm looking to ebay a used scooter in the $600 range. I have seen many Tekna's, Apollo's, and Farallon mk1-3's selling as cheap as $400. The cheap Farallons are often old, beat up and need batteries while the Apollo/Makos/ Teknas often come ready to go. Prices may go up or down depending on condition/ service Hx.

It generally takes me about 45min to kick to a particular wreck site and about 45 to fin back. It is important for me to avoid fining on the surface at this site so it does not leave much gas/time for exploration. A reliable DPV might be the ticket. Conditions are violently rough so a massive farallon may be difficult to keep from being battered on wreckage and rocks. Conditions are unique and most of my gear doesn’t make it to two years so I'm apprehensive about spending $3500 on something that will likely get broken.

What would you get and why?
THX

rtavernetti:
So I know that the Gavin/X-scooter are the way to go but after a few years I'm sure they can be had for less than $3000 used. So in the mean time I'm looking to ebay a used scooter in the $600 range. I have seen many Tekna's, Apollo's, and Farallon mk1-3's selling as cheap as $400. The cheap Farallons are often old, beat up and need batteries while the Apollo/Makos/ Teknas often come ready to go. Prices may go up or down depending on condition/ service Hx.

It generaly takes me about 45min to kick to a particular wreck site and about 45 to fin back. It is important for me to avoid finning on the surface at this site so it does not leave much gas/time for exploration. A reliable DPV might be the ticket.

What would you get and why?

rtavernetti: Good question. I'm sure you will have a number of good replies. Mine is a bit biased. We have been manufacturing U/W vehicles for over 20 years. Our scooters are in use all over the world. We use a special DC Brushless motor. There are many other details that make the Apollo the choice for lots of divers, resorts, commercial operations, etc.
More details @: www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/UWVehicles/AV2_Scooter.htm
A good used Apollo scooter could be a very good purchase.
Feel free to contact our service center for more details.

Ernie Bourne - Pacific Offshore Divers
1188 Branham Lane
San Jose, CA 95118
Ph (408) 265-3483
E-mail: podi@pacbell.net

Thanks POD.

I am looking closely at the apollo's. I've seen a lot of Mako's and they seem to do ok in the right hands. Would you say that the apollo apv1 is on par with the Mako? Another reason I ask is because many of the new scooters seem to be using Mako parts to compliment their own designs.

THX
RT

rtavernetti:
Thanks POD.

I am looking closely at the apollo's. I've seen a lot of Mako's and they seem to do ok in the right hands. Would you say that the apollo apv1 is on par with the Mako? Another reason I ask is because many of the new scooters seem to be using Mako parts to compliment their own designs.

rtvernetti: I believe the Apollo Scooters are among the most reliable scooters available. They are proven, powerfull, dependable, etc. They are more than on a par with the other scooters you mentioned. The Apollo scooter uses a very reliable and powerfull DC motor. Many other models use a trolling type motor and then just stack batteries for longer run time. The Apollo scooter has many fail safe features, and has been in use for lots of serious diving world wide for many years. Good luck in your search.

Personally (and I'm no expert) I'd go with an Apollo AV-1 or a Mako over the Tekna/Farallon. Just because they're newer and parts might be easier to come by. I think the Farallon's are at least 25 yrs. old, I was certified in 81' and they weren't new then. From what I recall the Tekna's are of similar vintage. Although I have seen Tekna parts show up here and on eBay pretty often. Another concern would be the technology of the motor with regards to how it uses up the battery, I think the newer the better in that regard.

I've ridden an AV1 thrice, both times I ran out of air before it ran out of juice. The AV1 is the most recently discontinued scooter of the bunch also. One think I liked about the Mako(I think it was a Mako..) over the AV-1 is that it has a battery indicator, but it's just a green/red light so not sure what value it has. At top speed (there's three, you can change it u/w by pulling on the prop - don't remember the exact details) on the AV1 you don't want to turn your head, it will certainly cause your mask to leak and just about rip it off. But are they fun!! :) :)

Seen the AV1 on Ebay? And the Farallon MK3? although it needs batteries/charger.

I'd really like an X or a Silent Submersion. I also like the Apollo AV-2 - just not ready to commit that kind of funds to something I'll only use occasionally.

And on a different level, there's a new "Pro" Seadoo. Called Explorer or something like that. I saw it new at Sports Chalet, I'm pretty sure it was under $800.

my .02

Again, as I have in fact rebuilt now three Tekna scooters I am something of an expert by defualt on them also. There is a place called dpvrepair.com that sells parts and service for Tekna scooters and he is very nice and very responsive to questions.

OK, the Tekna was the first of the modern sooters. The propeller, shroud duct and motor are the same as used to this day on high dollar scooters. In fact the current Mako is an evoultion of the Tekna and if you look you will see the similarity. The Mako has a detuned motor and has an added section in the body with clamps that allows the nose section to be lifted off for service and charging. The older Tekna is charged through a charging port--this is inferior due to the remote possibility of hydrogen gas accumulation and the resulting explosive potential--easily avoided by correct practice. To this day very few DPVs make the thrust of the Tekna rated up to 75 pounds of thrust. Mine will run over 1.5 hours on the two 18 amp batteris that are in series for 24Volt and 18 amp/hour.

The weight of the Tekna is around 50-55 pounds and it is somewhat more fragile than newer "PVC" tube versions (yes versions) such as some you guys mentioned.

BTW, a Tekna will pull three fully outfitted scuba divers faster than the most powerful SeaDoo "toy" scooter. Yes, I know this to be fact.

If you like to tinker get a Tekna, scooters in general are a bit cantankerous and a 20 year old Tekna will be also. The front bulkhead is the weak link in my opinion often cracking out and releasing tension on the body O-ring seal and then flooding.

BTW, the Tekna uses a large GE direct drive 24volt constant RPM motor just like the high dollar scooters with a nine position adjustable propeller. It is a hosss! Many people take the guts out of a Tekna and build themselves a tube scooter. I eventually will with mine also but for now number three is on the assembly table and getting ready to rock and roll.

If you get a Tekna I recommend you spend the money and try and get one as complete as possible as piecing them back together is not fun and several people keep out bidding me on parts on ebay---d----m them!!!!!!!! LOL. N

A red and black Tekna scooter. Notice the instrument cluster on the red one and the tow harness attachments. You will need a harness! N

My friends tell me that between the mako/ tekna the mako is a better bet because is has fiewer leak points in the housing. Both are 24v scooters but the Apollo is only 12v. The run times and thrust look about the same. Would you avoid an apollo because its a 12v system? One full apollo system just went for $450 on ebay so they seem to be cheaper and more available than the mako's and tekna's. Perhaps there is a reason for this? Any Apollo owners out there with mako/ tekna exp?

"My friends tell me that between the mako/ tekna the mako is a better bet because is has fiewer leak points in the housing"

I would agree with that but the Mako will cost more money and will have better parts availability most likely. As I stated, the Mako dispenses with the non removable nose cone and instead has a section added to the body assembly with clamps to allow removing the nose cone for service and charging. This also has the advantage of dispensing with several O-ring sealed screws that penetrate the forward bulkhead on the Tekna. The Mako should be looked upon as the modern day Tekna--that is where it comes from, again, if you look at them close you will see they are much the same.

I have never used an Apollo nor have I taken one apart and looked inside. I don't like the forward placed handles on the Apollo but as I said, never used one. All of this stuff is way over priced.

Good luck. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom