Who's going to Lake Pleasant this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We'll be at the lake Saturday and Sunday, hopefully at Scorpion Bay, but that depends on the water level and how easy or difficult entry and exit will be. Anyone else planning on being out there?

When do you arrive? Thinking about heading out on Thursday night.

jcf

We'll be arriving Saturday around 10am and staying until sometime Sunday afternoon.

Rob,

Talked with a buddy of mine today who dove from the exposed sand bar between Scorpion Bay and Dirty Shirt to the cove/wall and back, max depth was in the mid 40's (I don't know if that was the bottom), viz non existant at depth, 10-15' in the cove. I asked some more pointed questions, I'll let you know what he says.

-Garrett

Heard back from my buddy, he said, "Yes mid 40's was the bottom (max depth)" between the sandbar and the eastern point of the cove. He did not see a favorable entry/exit point inside the cove, that's why he dove from the sandbar. Looks like unless you pick another spot we'll have to go out to or past the buoys to get to 60'+.

Garrett

We'll find it. I've got a depth map of the lake. I'll go out sometime Saturday and set a buoy up at 65ish. We'll try to keep the surface swim minimal. :D We'll also check out Desert Tortoise. I've found 60' there with only a short swim when the water level has been down.

This is part of a post from another thread. I thought I'd put it here for anyone who is interested.

Water temp was 85 degress to 41 feet, then a slight thermocline from 41 to 52 feet where it drops down to the 50s. Visibility was about 10' on Saturday and Sunday morning. It dropped to about 5' Sunday afternoon, probably because of all the activity mentioned above. Vis below 40' was about 5', below 50' it was about 1'. We dove the cove between the end of Desert Tortoise Rd. and Burro Island (which is now a peninsula). Water level at the lake is down about 40' which makes Scorpion Bay unaccessible without a long surface swim. Not much to see at this site unfortunately, but it served its purpose. We got to dive! Also, Garrett got his AOW/PPB so now he can do Rescue. We also had a couple of other divers come out and finish up a specialty. And we introduced a diver to lake diving! This was someone who has been certified for almost 10 years and never been fresh water diving. Okay, she wasn't impressed with the bottom composition, but she did say it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. She even ended up doing 2 rather long dives! I think we have another recruit.

Here's a little about what we did see at this site. We saw a little more fish life on the Sat. night dive and on our Sunday dives than during the other dives. We also found a small sink hole in about 31' of water. It's about 5' wide and drops down about 3-4' with a rubble mound in the center. It curves in around the edges anywhere from 1-3'. It also has a significant thermocline in the hole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom