Oceanic Inflator Hose Fittings?!?!?!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrackedConch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Why does Oceanic use a different fitting for the inflator hose? Most all other Manufacturers use a common, standard quick disconnect fitting.

This is nice if you have equipment from different manufacturers and need to be able to interchange them. I just ordered an Outrigger which I'm very excited about!! :) But if I travel on business and take only my reg, I'll have to unscrew my Oceanic LP hose and screw a standard hose to match the rental BC. I also plan on keeping my old Dacor BC so I'll have to change LP inflator hoses to use it.

Is there an adapter to convert the Oceanic fitting to the Standard Scuba Fitting that all the others use?

Is there a way to change out the male fitting on the inflator and/or the Air XS2 to the standard?

CrackedConch:
Why does Oceanic use a different fitting for the inflator hose? Most all other Manufacturers use a common, standard quick disconnect fitting.

This is nice if you have equipment from different manufacturers and need to be able to interchange them. I just ordered an Outrigger which I'm very excited about!! :) But if I travel on business and take only my reg, I'll have to unscrew my Oceanic LP hose and screw a standard hose to match the rental BC. I also plan on keeping my old Dacor BC so I'll have to change LP inflator hoses to use it.

Is there an adapter to convert the Oceanic fitting to the Standard Scuba Fitting that all the others use?

Is there a way to change out the male fitting on the inflator and/or the Air XS2 to the standard?
After reading your post, my initial thought was that companies make their gear incompatible with other manufaturers to ensure that you can only use their equipment. But after thinking about it, I felt that it could be more of a patent issue or a liability issue should a problem occur. Granted most of the regulator first stages from various companies have "standard" port fittings, but that end of the hose is not mechanical so other than an o-ring going there is not much chance of a problem there. If a problem occurs it would be more likely occur from the mechanical end where the hose mates to the BCD. It would be difficult to point the finger at either manufacturer if a problem did occur because you would have to prove if it was the hose (mechanical end) at fault or the BCD. I always recommend to a customer that if they are just buying the BCD that they take the hose on vacation with them and ask the dive store to attach it to to the rental regulator they would be using. You might also want to check and see how many low pressure ports are on your regulator and if there is an extra, put the additional hose in that space. The question that I have though is this: Would using an adapter (if there was such a beast) be considered modifying the equipment thereby causing a problem with warranty?

You mentioned Air XS2. That is not a "standard" inflator.
It is an octo+inflator. Because it has an octo on it, the air
flow requirements are larger than a simple BC inflator.
Because of these higher flow requirements, manufactures use
a male fitting with a much larger opening than the standard
BC inflator fitting.

There are adapters made that will convert your fitting to
a standard BC fitting: Fitting Adapter
However, if you get one of these, and only take your regs
with you what will you use for an Octo?

Rental BCs typically don't have octo+ type devices on them.
Hopefully, you don't intend to dive without an octo,
so you will need to have an octo that you attach to your
first stage as well.
This is one of the drawbacks to fully integrated octo-inflators.

--- bill

Good point about not having an octo if I just take my reg on a trip. I've actually thought of that and I'm considering leaving my regular octo on my reg.

The XS2 I picked up dirt cheap from a guy at work who had a spare. It looks brand new and has been opened, but is still in the packaging... I'll get it serviced before using it just to be safe.

Is it overkill to have an integrated octo-inflator AND a regular octo?

Thanks for the link to Scuba.com. I think that is just what I need.

Back
Top Bottom