Maldives Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandLover

Reaction score
Just thinking of a trip to the Maldives in April, why is it
that Maldives is rarely listed in the best dive destinations, but
when you read about on the net, it sounds awesome with
a variety of fishlife. What would the water temp be in April?

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton on Rangali Island?

Being on search mode for a trip to the Maldives at the end of January, I've been wondering about the same thing.

The Maldives are probably as far as you can go for someone in the US, more or less the same as going to the South Pacific for someone who lives in Europe.

It's far, it's expensive, and you've got the Caribbeanm although when I talk to people who have been to both, they say the Maldives are better.

I have been to some decent dive spots, but the Maldives are my favorite dive destination so far, hands down :D

We spent 2 weeks on a live-aboard, which allowed us to dive in several atolls. We would visit a different island every evening, and occasionally have a drink in the resort islands.

Also, live-aboard allows more interaction with the ocean:
the first morning in the Maldives, 300 spinner dolphins were playing and flipping in a turquoise sea... We were having breakfast outside and cheering them. I was thinking: I am dead, this is paradise!! :eek:

One evening, a manta ray came under the boat, attracted by a dive light that we had left underwater intentionally. The ray stayed there for over an hour, looping in the water (and eating mouthfuls of plancton)...

As you can see, I strongly suggest the live-aboard as an optimal way of diving the Maldives (both South Male and Ari atolls are well worth seeing).

But if you MUST go for land-based, then I suggest you take a look at the Rihiveli resort (South Male). We went there for drinks twice, and I thought the person in charge of the dive op (whom we chatted with) was very knowledgeable and friendly.

One of the reasons why Maldives are not advertised in the US is that it is definitely MUCH cheaper to go there from Europe. I paid around $2,500 for both weeks, including all expenses (tips, taxes, drinks and great t-shirts and pareos :wink: ), and including airfare from Paris.

But if you can afford it, then definitely go for it!!

One thing travel agents won't tell you, though, is that El Nino hit the Maldives hard, and corals are not as beautiful as they used to be (or so we have heard). But the fauna has not suffered from that at all: sharks (grey reef, white-tip, hammerhead, occasional whale), rays (manta, eagle), turtles, and a zillion tropical fish.

My detailed divelog is at the following address http://perso.wanadoo.fr/siraudin/ (click on divelog in the menu to the left).
Sorry, it is in French, but you can still read the dive site names / my rating + the dive profiles.

Water temperature in March was a constant 84 degress, both in the air and in the water.

Cheers

Zeina

Les Maldives sont fantastique ! I was in the Maldives in December with some non-divers, but I still managed to squeeze in several dives. We were at the Paradise Island resort. The dive sites mat not have been the best in the Maldives, but they were still awesome. I saw lots of black tip reef sharks, turtles, lionfish, moray eels, barracuda, masive Dogtooth Tuna, Napoleon Wrasse, eagle rays, lobster, oriental sweetlips and thousands of other reef fish too numerous to mention.

While some coral bleaching is evident in shallow waters, deeper reefs seemed fine.

Water temp. never gets below 28 celsius I believe.

Maldives is definitely world class diving.

Good luck.
Miki.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom