Standard of Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_pirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found my reg free flowed in a pool test. I let the LDS know of the problem and had the annual service done to a Delta 3 first, second and octo w/gauge before our trip. On the first drift dive the reg was still free flowing. I had the LDS in Florida check it out. He detuned the second stage and the octo began free flowing. He checked the IP and found it was at 180 psi. He tried adjusting it to the normal operating range of 125-135 psi but it kept creeping up. The reg was taken out of service and dropped off the next day to the shop in the Keys (next leg of our trip). They replaced the high pressure seat .

I went back to my LDS in Maryland and asked them to reimburse me the labor $28 to have the HP seat replaced. They said they did not replace that part and could not stand behind it. I was told that the $64 that I paid to have it serviced only includes replacing o-rings, battery and cleaning as the normal part of service. I was told by the owner that I could not afford to have the soft parts replaced as it was to expensive. This was an obvious lie as I buy and carry spare kits when I travel to remote locations. The tech and the owner said they only replace parts that cause it to fail their bench test. The fact that a deep irregular oval grove in the seat was dismissed as “they all have that”. Further I was told that I probably turned on my tank to fast causing the high pressure seat to leak.

I looked up on the Oceanic web site and found the regulator service consisted of replacing replaceable parts and cleaning and inspection of non-replaceable parts (sounds like a lawyer wrote it rather than a tech). Needless to say replaceable parts to me includes the soft seats of all the valves, filters as well as o-rings.

Is this what Oceanic intends? Or was my LDS telling me it correctly?

Sincerly,
Very concerned
Diver_Pirate

diver_pirate:
I found my reg free flowed in a pool test. I let the LDS know of the problem and had the annual service done to a Delta 3 first, second and octo w/gauge before our trip. On the first drift dive the reg was still free flowing. I had the LDS in Florida check it out. He detuned the second stage and the octo began free flowing. He checked the IP and found it was at 180 psi. He tried adjusting it to the normal operating range of 125-135 psi but it kept creeping up. The reg was taken out of service and dropped off the next day to the shop in the Keys (next leg of our trip). They replaced the high pressure seat .

I went back to my LDS in Maryland and asked them to reimburse me the labor $28 to have the HP seat replaced. They said they did not replace that part and could not stand behind it. I was told that the $64 that I paid to have it serviced only includes replacing o-rings, battery and cleaning as the normal part of service. I was told by the owner that I could not afford to have the soft parts replaced as it was to expensive. This was an obvious lie as I buy and carry spare kits when I travel to remote locations. The tech and the owner said they only replace parts that cause it to fail their bench test. The fact that a deep irregular oval grove in the seat was dismissed as “they all have that”. Further I was told that I probably turned on my tank to fast causing the high pressure seat to leak.

I looked up on the Oceanic web site and found the regulator service consisted of replacing replaceable parts and cleaning and inspection of non-replaceable parts (sounds like a lawyer wrote it rather than a tech). Needless to say replaceable parts to me includes the soft seats of all the valves, filters as well as o-rings.

Sincerly,
Very concerned
Diver_Pirate

I can't speak for Oceanic, but as a dealer, I ALWAYS replace both the hp valve and the soft seats in the second stage. I would think this is standard practice. Anyway, just my opinion.

Phil Ellis

diver_pirate:

Sincerely,
Very concerned
Diver_Pirate

In the service kits from Oceanic the seats are included. For the first stage that is the High Pressure seat and on the seconds the low pressure seat.
In our manuals that detail service procedures replacement of the seats is part of the annual service procedure.
We strongly encourage our dealers to only service using a full service kit.
If you purchased your regulator from an authorized Oceanic Alliance dealer you should have received an Alliance booklet that entitles you to free service parts for life.

Now that I have upset one of our dealers could you PM me the name of the shop so I can warn our Sales Manager for Maryland?...

Please accept our sincere apology that this situation occurred at one of our dealers. It is not what we hope...

It looks to me you are $100 in to the service and have yet to have a complete and proper service. Please contact me by PM, I would like to ensure you get the Alliance booklet for free parts for life and also arrange to have your regulator fully serviced at the factory for free including shipping.

Again my sincere apology.

Best regards,

Chris Richardson

cerich:
....It looks to me you are $100 in to the service and have yet to have a complete and proper service. Please contact me by PM, I would like to ensure you get the Alliance booklet for free parts for life and also arrange to have your regulator fully serviced at the factory for free including shipping....

WOW! What service! Does this type of response/service extend over to Canada as well?

Tamas:
WOW! What service! Does this type of response/service extend over to Canada as well?

Where's Canada? Is that up by North Dakota? :D

For years when asked I always said I was a Nova Scotian, living in the states I've learned to just say Canada and cut down on the "where is that?" questions...

best,

just another Bluenoser gone south

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom