Saw my 1st shark today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seawalker

Reaction score
While snorkeling today off Hibiscus Ave. I noticed the reef to be very active. I spotted a few different fish I didn't see my 1st time there, namely some needles, 2 parrot fish and a couple others I haven't been able to identify yet. I spent an hour and a half out there in total. Noticing my time was running out on my meter, I slowly headed back to shore. I looked around on my way out and saw a sea turtle. This is like my 7th dive in total so naturally I thought I was really lucky to see it. I swam toward him but he noticed me and sped off. I lost him unfortunately, but not before he brought me a few feet back into the reef. As I turn around to head out, there; maybe 15' away from me, swimming along at a moderate pace along the bottom of the reef, a long gray tail. It was my 1st spotting of a nurse. Maybe 4 1/2' long. I was on my own, and I'm just getting over a slight fear of the ocean and sharks in general. I didn't panic, I wasn't scared. I was calm. I swam away though. I couldn't help it. But I cherished the moment deeply.

Feel free to share your 1st experiences with these truly magnificent animals in the wild.

Sharks are awesome! You will soon swim towards them........

Seawalker, great read. The time running out on your meter while snorkeling had me a little confused but I got that one figured out.

Cool, aren't they?

Just wait till you see 3 slvertips, 2 bulls, a lemon, a Tawny Nurse and a reef shark on the one dive :)

Z...

Zeeman:
Cool, aren't they?

Just wait till you see 3 slvertips, 2 bulls, a lemon, a Tawny Nurse and a reef shark on the one dive :)

Z...

They really are.

I've been reading alot on sharks consequently. Those bulls seem to be the most aggressive of the bunch. They've got the highest testosterone levels of any animal :11:
Is it safe to even be in the water with one? Seems like quite the risk.

I would'nt put myself in a position where I was surrounded by several of them but one or two is typically no threat as long as you pay attention. If you have a legitimate fear of sharks youwill want to study their postures and behaviors. If you know the signs you can generally avoid the questionably dangerous animals. If the pectoral fins are pointed down, the back is arched (think a cat raising the hair on it's back) or the animal is swimming erratically, it is best to keep your distance. I've seen thousands of sharks in the wild and have only seen this behavior twice. One instance was when a diver insisted upon trying to touch the tail of a gray reek shark that came close to check us out and the other was a sizable hammerhead that picked a stingray out of the sand about 30' from me in the keys and devoured it. That second one had me speechless.

sasscuba:
Sharks are awesome! You will soon swim towards them........

That is true. Until the day comes that you begin to swin away from them. Or at least away from certain sharks.

:sharkattack:

Never got the smell out of my wetsuit from my first :sharks: sighting. :lol2:

Back
Top Bottom