Farewell to Pluto... Sniff [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Farewell to Pluto... Sniff

Sponsored Link

drbill
August 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
No, not the Walt Disney cartoon character... our dearly beloved 9th planet has finally been demoted from the ranks of the mighty ones. As a former astronomy teacher, I mourn this and have great concern as to the effect this demotion will have on my former astronomy students from 30 years ago. They may now question everything I taught them (and of course much of what I taught them in the 70's is no longer valid!).

NetDoc
August 24th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Bill,

Hopefully as the wonderful instructor you were, you taught your students to ALWAYS question you! :D

So is he no longer a "Mod Planet"? Is he now just another "Solar System User"? Is he posting about how unfair those who demoted are? Just curious. :D

Sandbar
August 24th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Previous mnemonic: My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.
Proposed mnemonics: My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Narcotics? That won't fly... Nothing? That doesn't make any sense... Nitrox? You don't really serve Nitrox... Crap, now how will I remember?!?

Snowbear
August 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
At least (along with a couple others) it still gets to be a midget planet.... or was that dwarf planet :D

tedtim
August 24th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Previous mnemonic: My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.
Proposed mnemonics: My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Narcotics? That won't fly... Nothing? That doesn't make any sense... Nitrox? You don't really serve Nitrox... Crap, now how will I remember?!?

Nachos!

Nay
August 24th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I think it's kind of cool. Shows kids that science is a constantly evolving process and not stupid statistics.
And twenty years from now our text books will be amusing showing 9 planets.

And I like nachos....

H2Andy
August 24th, 2006, 07:42 PM
bassird Pluto was never a planet!

i'm glad he got dissed...

good riddance, SUCKER!

BabyDuck
August 24th, 2006, 08:25 PM
but what planet is going to take over pluto's former job as ruler of scorpio? am i now rulerless? heck yeah, anarchy! woo hoo!

no, really - never mind astronomers, what are astrologers gonna do??

garyfotodiver
August 24th, 2006, 09:14 PM
So a group of underemployed stargazers had nothing better to do with their overabundance of spare time...

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1