breathing water, what's wrong??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
my regulator started acting up recently, during every dive once or twice when I took a breathe I would get mostly water.. purging the regulator for a second usually took care of it... most of the time it works fine, it just happens randomly every 30min or so...

my mouthpiece fits good. I'm using another reg now, and I'm going to get it serviced, but I'm quite curious,

does anyone have any idea if the problem would be in the 1st stage or 2nd stage? has anyone heard of this kind of problem before?

thanks, Scott

btw, my reg (1st & 2nd stage) is a "regular" reg, nothing special about it (e.g. - balanced, env. sealed, etc.). I believe its a dacor 1st stage, oceanic 2nd stage.

It's the 2nd stage. You could have a small hole in the mouthpiece, but when you say you get "mostly water," I suspect that's not the problem as you'd be getting a small amount of water. It's more likely one of the diaphrams. One of them could have a hole, tear or simply be folded.

As described above, you can have a hole in the diaphragm which only admit water in certain positions (when it is lower than the exhalation valve), or you could have some crud that is blocking the exhalation valve from closing completely (or a hole in it). To check, put the regulator dust cap on with an O-ring to seal it (so no air can enter the first stage), put the regulator in your mouth, and suck down on it. If you hear any air leaking into the regulator, you have a leak. You should also be able to isolate it be the sound too.

SeaRat

could be sand between the diaphragm and the housing too

I was recently diving the Flower Gardens and this girl was experiencing the same problem. Turns out the regulator's diaphragm was folded or something like that.

I've had undetected slits in the lower part of the mouthpiece cause this on occasion but the diaphragm probably is the most likely culprit.

I had this and the DM pulled apart my reg and the diaphragm looked nasty. Kind of a slimy skudge (Is that a real word???) around the edge. We wiped it off and it is as good as new. I just gross out that I was breathing off of that. Yuck. But hey, it is an easy, free fix!

Had the same problem, my housing has a hairline crack in it. Was told that it would be covered under warranty, but will see as it's being serviced right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom