Unused, 10yr old reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cork2win

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is a weird situation but I've been given a 10 year old reg that was never used. I don't remember the brand off-hand. My question is, what could be wrong with this reg after just sitting for 10 years, assuming it was in perfect condition when new?

Story: DH took scuba cert with his exGF 10 years ago. They completed the course, he bought all the gear for both of them. They broke up shortly after and he kept the gear. Forward 10 years, I'm in the picture and just getting my certification. He obviously thinks it's a good idea for me to use whatever of the gear he bought oh-so-long ago since it's free. Most of it fits/works. I have BC, Fins, Reg, Tank, weights, etc (only had to buy a new mask so far because the orignal was brittle). Whole package. Of course, during my training I haven't been allowed to use any of it (except the fins). I'm assuming it would just be in my best interest to take the reg in and have it serviced and get it over with but I'm just curious what could be wrong with it (if anything) after all this time, just for my own information. I have no idea how they work so I don't know what parts might wear with age only and I'm curious.

Have the regulator serviced. The o-rings and seats are probably dried out, cracked, and useless. Sounds like you got a new regulator set for the price of an overhaul, way cool.

As with all 2nd hand stuff, when in doubt, have it checked out. But theoretically, aside from the seats and o-rings drying out, there's the effect of the LP seats on the 2nds being constantly pressed, so after 10 years of being on the shelf, deep witness marks might have formed on the seats. This will affect their sealing capabilities and might cause the 2nd stage to free flow. The HP seats on the 1st stage are usually open (As I learned a few days ago from DA Aquamaster).
May I inquire as to what regulator you have?

Thanks guys... I will have it serviced then. I figured if there were any rubber parts in it that they would probably be dry/brittle, much like the mask I was given.

I wish I could remember the brand. I seem to recall seeing two different names on it... I believe Beuchat was one of them but can't remember the other. I'll check tonight. I remember searching for it on ScubaBoard one night when I had it in my hand and came up empty so it must be old/rare?

Yep way cool-free is a good buy on a reg., not to mention all the other goddies!

Yep have it overhauled, and check the BC too, blow it up & leave it overnite, make sure the dump valve(s) work, Hook it up to the LP hose (and a tank) and test the inflator, and the over pressure relief valve. If it has any problems have it serviced as well.

Definitely get it serviced. As others have said that much time out of water can be harder on gear that has been used regularly. Just out of curiosity why have you not been allowed to use it? If you are going to use it anyway it makes it easier for all concerned if you are getting certed in your own gear unless there are problems with it. And if so this is the time to find out. Not on your first ow dive without an instructor. Going into the water in gear that old that has not been serviced in that amount of time is just asking to become a statistic. Seals dryout, regs that have not been properly cleaned after use and sat that long may have parts that are seized up due to salt, mud, sand, etc. I see you are in columbus. What shop are you going thru? And again why can't you use your own gear?

Well, they told me it was an insurance issue. Since they couldn't guarantee that my stuff was any good, they told me their insurance wouldn't cover them if I had an accident with it while under their supervision, therefore I had to use gear either provided by them or purchased from their shop. I really wasn't in a position to argue (and they weren't the only shop that wouldn't let me use my own stuff, none of them that I checked with allowed it).

I'm with you, I questioned my instructor after my last class about my own stuff and how on earth I should be expected to test it out if I wasn't ever going to be allowed to use it. I was told I couldn't use it on my OW checkout dives either, that I would have to rent equipment. He was understanding and told me that after my 4th and final check-out dive, that I would then be a certified diver and no longer his "instruction". At that point he would do a 3rd dive with me and help me with *my* equipment. I was happy with that, but still not happy with the thought of diving into the quarry with all this equipment that I'm totally unfamiliar with. I've done my best to familiarize myself with my stuff... I walk around the house with my BC on, I've practiced attaching my BC to my tank. I've breathed through my reg, familiarized myself with where all my stuff is attached to my BC, etc, but still the thought of using it the first time in OW scares the crap out of me.

I should probably ask them if they'd allow me to use it in their pool one night, at least to just make sure it will keep me afloat. I *will* have the reg serviced before using it so hopefully that won't be an issue. The tanks need to be tested too before using (since that's the law and they've been sitting for 10yrs as well). Mostly I'm interested in my BC/Reg and their workings.

I trained with COSD (central ohio school of diving) and am really happy with them, other than this equipment issue.

cork2win:
Well, they told me it was an insurance issue. Since they couldn't guarantee that my stuff was any good, they told me their insurance wouldn't cover them if I had an accident with it while under their supervision, therefore I had to use gear either provided by them or purchased from their shop.

They lied to you.

Walter:
They lied to you.
What purpose would it serve for them to lie about that? Not that I don't believe they lied (I don't believe much of anything anyone says to me anymore, at least without a grain of salt) but I don't see what purpose it would serve for them to make me use the rental stuff rather than my own? Are they hoping I love the rental stuff so much that I buy it, even though I already had my own? I know people lie, but usually they have a reason and I don't see the reason here.

I'm a little unclear about the fine points so if the following does not really apply just ignore it.

You have gotten some good advice about having the reg serviced. When you take it to your shop of choice let them know that the reg was new an unused for 10 years. A good technician should check it completely without the background information, but it may answer a few questions he might have. If all of the other gear is also unused for 10 yers you should get it serviced too.

A BC has parts in it that will deteriorate with age just like the reugulator. The cylinder valve also will show the same problems. The cylinder itself will need inspection and a Hydro test. Basically any component that is exposed to pressurized air will need to get looked at. The air cell in the BC may have developed leaks or cracks from being folded for a long time, and the exhaust valves may need repair or replacement.

Things like fins and snorkels you can look at yourself, inspect them for cracking and tearing.

Think of the problem like a car. If you put a car up on blocks and don't touch it for 10 years you will need to replace almost all of the rubber parts before you can drive it. Parts like tires are pretty obvious, but internal brake seals while less obvious are critical to the safe operation of the car.

If you got the entire rig for free the cost of getting everything serviced will be LESS than getting new gear, so count yourself as fortunate. Just be up front with the shop that is doing the service with the history of the gear, it will help you in the long run.

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom