Where to snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pword

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this should be on the travel section but here it goes.

Just returned from my first snorkeling trip ever at St Croix and loved it. STX had very easy entry from mainly sandy beaches, no strong currents and great stuff to see fairly close to shore. Also really enjoyed Buck Island snorkel trail.

We are looking for other islands with much of the same. Husband dives also but we both enjoy shore snorkeling.

What are your suggestions for other great snorkeling islands and good diving for him in the Caribbean? Thanks.

I've been to Bonaire... fantastic.. have visited and seen videos from fellow freedivers that were to Little Cayman and that looks like the next place on my list. Best thing I think is to look for great shore access and those 2 islands have it.

I would say that Bonaire is not the best place for snorkelers who do not freedive. I found that in most places the reef didn't really start until 20 25 feet which is a little far away for someone staying on the surface. Maybe with better vis then we had it might have been better but I just didn't see it as a great place for snorkeling. That being said if you want to freedive down to 25 feet or more it is a perfect place to go because it gently slopes down and you can stay at 25 or go deeper if you feel comfortable. It is also an incredible place to dive. Basically if you are willing to get close enough to the reef then it is amazing but to just stay on top it is still good but not what I would call fantastic

Aruba has some really nice spots (but not the one the hotels tell you about) Mangel Halto is probably the best. Incredible corals and fish.

Cozumel, Grand Cayman..shoot any of the Caymans. Got great shore diving along with great snorkeling. If you go to GC, go to Cemetary Beach. Some of the biggest fish I normally see on dives I saw just snorkeling off the beach. It was great!

Back
Top Bottom