Oceanic Omega II???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCal Surfer

Registered
Reaction score
First thing. I currently have an older aqualung micra. I've been happy with it until about a week ago. My buddy accidently popped me in the reg and pushed the purge in. I was stuck with a mean free flow and I could not get it to stop. I eventually had to grap my own octo and do a bit of karate to get it unstuck.

I've never had that happen before and am a bit concerned and think that maybe a different model reg would not do that. I've spoken to a couple of shops and I've been steered toward the oceanic Omega II. I'm a recreational diver but like to get about 100 feet down or so on a rare occasion.

1. Do you think I need a new reg or does that sound normal for a hard punch in the purge?
2. If I need a new reg, how do people feel about the Oceanic Omega II?
3. What else might you recommend for roughly the 250 buck range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated in this great search for my new reg!

I have an omega and like it. I have over 100 dives on it, buy it is a wet breather. That really bothers some people. It has zero bubble interference. I'd say your problem is atypical and should be fixed. I recently got a Zeagle Flathead VI based on the recommendations on this forum and like it so much I just purchased another one for my girlfriend (Zeagle Envoy). The omega is now for picture taking and our backup regulator should we have problems with the Zeagles.

I suggest send your current regs for services, small problem no worry!

I used Omega II since year 2003, I would say good performance balance regs.

Oceanic 30-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE

Dear Sirs: I am new to diving and new to this board. I completed my last five dives with a new Omega II. I too found the regulator to breath wet, so much so that I swam with my head tilted to the left to drain the water through the exhaust valve. A quick trip to my LDS showed that the exhaust valve was leaking although there were no obvious holes, tears, etc. Replacing the valve took about 30 seconds and solved the problem. Apparently, some of the exhaust valve parts are defective/out of spec. Those of you having this problem with this regulator should try this fix.

Having said the above I can report that the Omega II is by far the most natural breathing regulator I have ever tried. It is very easy to sip air from and when finning hard seems to supply as much air as you want without forcing it down your throat. I think this might lead to reduced air consumption. After 55 minutes of diving (only at 45fsw) with some current I still had 900 psig in my tank.

VTY MJF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom