experience with aqualung micra adj?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCal Surfer

Registered
Reaction score
I put up an earlier post and think that maybe I asked the wrong question after going back and reading my manual. OK! I have the aqualung micra adj. I usually dive with the switch in the min position but this time had the switch in the max position, which I just noticed. I pressured this regulator up and put it in some water. In the min position, I had no problems purging. BUT, when I put this bad boy in the max position, my purge started the free flow of all free flows. I switched it back to the min position and had no problems. I did this a few times just to make sure that it wasn't my lack of coffee playing tricks on me. Otherwise, it was breathing fine (when not free flowing).

So I think my question is this:

What do you think? Adjustment problem? Need servicing? Is this how the min/max switch behaves normally?

I could just leave it in the min position and dive away. But if this is a servicing problem that is easily solved, then I'd just rather go get this handled.

Help me out! I've really enjoyed this reg for a long time and many dives.

It sounds like it did exactly what it's supposed to do. The venturi effect allows the valve to stay open easier by reducing the pressure drop accross the reg body and is designed to ease breathing. When the switch is in the "negative" or "surface" position the little flapper inside (look in, you'll see it), disrupts the venturi effect by disruptin flow...much like placing your hand over the mouthpiece of a reg that free flows at the surface.

If you look at the manufacturers instruction for adjusting a reg that has such a switch most will tell you that, in the dive position, the reg should continue to flow on it's own once the flow is started (like when you oress the purge).

If that wasn't clear, say so and I'll try again.

I agree with MikeFerrara, this is how it is designed. I have an Aqualung Legend and in the instructions manual it said it is expected to have a little free flow when having the switch to max.

So you should keep it on the min position until you start to desc, then adjust it.

Cheers,
Eagle Ray.

As owner of 3 Micra ADJs I can assure you that's exactly what it's supposed to do.
Also worth knowing that if it's correctly adjusted and you open out the flow knob (not the switch) completely there should be a small constant flow of air.
The switch is there to provide a resistance at the surface but to allow you to minimize resistance at depth.

Too funny! Very Clear! I have adjusted the side knob and had the little stream of bubbles but the Venturi assist switch I never tinkered with. I understand the small free flow of bubbles. That I usually have under control. But when that free flow started with the venturi switch, that was more than a few bubbles. LOL I guess I just learned something about my regulator. Thank goodness I learned it at 35 feet and not 100.

SO, if the Venturi switch allows free flow at the surface, when I am at 100 feet, hitting the venturi switch will make breathing easier? Will it free flow at 100 feet or does the pressure stop that considerably? At what depth do I really need to even considering the venturi switch. I've had it at minimum for years and I have never noticed a problem with getting air out of this thing.

Thanks to everybody! I can't believe how many awesome answers I get from this board.

Yes the Venturi will make breathing easier.Yes it will freeflow at 100 feet.

Personally I never bother with the Venturi switch on my Apeks,just leave it in the minimum position and adjust the flow knob.

SoCal Surfer:
Too funny! Very Clear! I have adjusted the side knob and had the little stream of bubbles but the Venturi assist switch I never tinkered with. I understand the small free flow of bubbles. That I usually have under control. But when that free flow started with the venturi switch, that was more than a few bubbles. LOL I guess I just learned something about my regulator. Thank goodness I learned it at 35 feet and not 100.

SO, if the Venturi switch allows free flow at the surface, when I am at 100 feet, hitting the venturi switch will make breathing easier? Will it free flow at 100 feet or does the pressure stop that considerably? At what depth do I really need to even considering the venturi switch. I've had it at minimum for years and I have never noticed a problem with getting air out of this thing.

Thanks to everybody! I can't believe how many awesome answers I get from this board.

will not free flow if in your mouth no matter how deep you are..I leave mine in the positive position with the adj knob pretty much all the way out at all times..may have to place in negative if on surface with the reg out of your mouth..

Due to the backpressure while the regulator is in your mouth it will never free flow on you. The Venturi switch just aids in delivering air to you with greater ease. However, anytime the regulator is out of your mouth it has the possibility of free flowing if the Venturi switch is in the max position.

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Back
Top Bottom