Halcyon BP/wing: I love it!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neve

Contributor
Reaction score
Originally from Bali, but now in Singapore
# of dives
500 - 999
I gave it a try last weekend, and it was amazing. I was using the 6lbs stainless steel backplate and 27lbs Pioneer wing. 5ft hose and Apeks TX50 reg.

The first time I laid eyes on it a few months ago, I was skeptical and thought the whole thing looked messy with all that hose strangling your neck and the stupid clips & D-rings.

I take it all back. I'm converted and in trouble (coz it means I have to spend more $$$ to buy a set! :( )

The BP/wing setup was so comfortable underwater. It took me a while to get used to the long hose and backup dangling around my neck. After about 10 minutes into the dive, I felt very comfortable. The setup kept me very very stable and horizontal underwater. I believe this also contributed to my air consumption. In the past, I usually surfaced with about 50 bar left, but this time I ended up with 70 bar on all my dives. (61 min-13 m; 49 min-19m EANx32; 48 min-23m EANx36).

One drawback was the webbing/harnesses.... They gave me bruises on my shoulders. Other than that, I really can't complain.

Comments from BP/wing owners? Doesn't need to be Halcyon, btw. What do you like about your BP/wing setup? Which type do you have?

I switched to a BP/Wing setup (Halcyon Pioneer 36) this year and I love it. I had never felt so connected with my tank and generally integrated with my equipment prior to the switch. I also think that the simplicity of the rig is one of its brightest points. No seams to fail, no extra crap hanging off, no riding up when floating on the surface, and no fixes to problems that do not exist.

Just prior to getting my BP/wing, I had moved to a 5' primary and bungee backup and I have also found this arrangement to be logical and functional. I'm sure you will continue to find the same.

As for the bruising on your shoulders, you must have a propensity for easy bruising. Do you wear any exposure protection? I personally have 6 mil of neoprene and two to three layers of dry insulation between my straps and shoulders on almost all of my dives. On the two dives I have done wearing only a T-shirt, I haven't bruised. In fact, I was amazed the first time I put the rig on with a tank just how well distributed the weight was compared to my old BC. I didn't feel like I was wearing a 300 lb. packpack anymore!

Welcome to the world of BP/wings!

Hey, I hear you. I just got to use my new Halcyon rig (6 lb. stainless steel plate and the Pioneer 36 lb. wing) for the first time yesterday on three dives and it's awesome. Very streamlined and no tank shifting no matter what position I'm in.

It seems very curious to me that anyone could like a rig that resulted in bruised shoulders no matter what other advantages it had.

leadweight once bubbled...
It seems very curious to me that anyone could like a rig that resulted in bruised shoulders no matter what other advantages it had.

I think she answered that one in her original post...

It would seem more curious to me to go back to floaty and wobbly and uncumfortable because of a few brusies, which likely can be solved.

If u wear a 0.5 mm diveskin, it may bruise some ppl. However doesnt affect me whether I'm wearing just a rash guard or a 3mm suit. Must be my thick hide :D :D

Its human nature to fear sthg they don't understand, liker backplates / wings.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to sufferring..... :D

filtered once bubbled...
Its human nature to fear sthg they don't understand, liker backplates / wings.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to sufferring..... :D
LOL!!:D

My experience with backplates is firsthand and similar to the initial post except that I don't love anything that causes pain and injury.

A backplate is not the only way to avoid a floppy loose rig. Try a Transpac 2.

It seems around here that when you don't like the message it is time to attack the messenger. Or in other words some around here would say "don't bother me with the facts."

Back
Top Bottom