Zeta trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

So i have about 20 dives on my new Zeta. Yesterday freeflow and unstoppable leaking from the second stage forced me to abort a dive. does this just sound like it is over-tuned and needs detuning? it was mentioned by a buddy that the seat may be on its way out. that is a little concerning seeing as though it has so few dives on it. any insight? thanks

It sounds like it needs to go to a repair tech. It may be as simple as a minor adjujstment. Or it may need a seat replaced.

Though it is an excellent regulator, my experience with the Zeta is that it can be very touchy when it comes to free flowing. The second stage does free flow briefly when the air is first turned on but it should stop after a couple of seconds. I tell our Zeta owners to place 2 fingers over the mouthpiece when turning on the air to get the air to deflect back into the regulator toward the diaphragm. You didn't mention whether the free flow started while the regulator was in your mouth or if it was out of your mouth. If it began while in your mouth then I would suspect either a seat issue or I could also happen if you are diving against a strong current. If it happened out of the mouth, did you have the mouthpiece in the down position when you took it out? If the mouthpiece was facing up the second stage diaphragm would not have sufficient back pressure to allow for proper function. Turning the mouthpiece down when you initially take it out of your mouth usually solves that problem. If the mouthpiece was in the up position and free flowing simply turning the mouthpiece down may not get it to stop. When that happens to me I turn the mouthpiece down and block the mouthpiece opening with two fingers as was described earlier. If that doesn't work then it is either a seat or an intermediate pressure problem which your local Authorized Oceanic dealer can take care of for you. If your alternate airsource was free flowing at the same time then it is definitely a sign that it needs service. Please remember to have it serviced annually to keep up the warranty. Hope this wasn't confusing.

visibilityunlimited:
You didn't mention whether the free flow started while the regulator was in your mouth or if it was out of your mouth. If it happened out of the mouth, did you have the mouthpiece in the down position when you took it out?.

it started out of the mouth, but did not stop with it in my mouth. it gently leaks, sometimes more than leaking. steady without regard to whether it is up, down, sideways, mouth on, mouth off.

Sounds like a minor adjustment. Your local Authorized Oceanic dealer should be able to help you out there. If it is anything different, please let me know as I would like to add it to the trouble shooting area of my repair manual for the Zeta.

Can you PM me your contact details? Lets get this done for you so it isn't a problem going forward.

Best,

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom