Visiting Anchorage in late September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Donna and I are going to be in Anchorage from Sept 26 through Oct 2. Donna is going for a conference. I'm going because I've never been to Alaska. Any good ideas about what to do, where the best restaurants are, etc.? I would like to meet some SB members while we are there if at all possible.

Lots of good restaurants. All the way from the 5 Star(Double Musky in Girdwood) to sleazy, ptomaine joints. Ask some of the folks at your conference or PM me. I can give you my favorites when I visit down there. But restaurant recommendations are almost as perilous as those for dive gear and procedures.

If you plan on diving there are two good LDS' there. Both have web sites and, unlike many dive shops, actually do answer their email. Dive Alaska and Last Frontier Diving.

For more I'll leave it to the locals.

I am sure I will not be diving while we are there. I'm a warm water diver. Anything less than 80 degrees is cold water. :D

Thanks for the information. We intend to do some day trips while we are there.

I hada great trip to Anchorage. Saw the Independence Mine with a private tour, the Tsunami Center in Palmer, AK, went to the Alaska Heritage Center (they opened up just for our group), and had a walking tour of the Eagle River Nature Trial. I actually got to see a big bull Moose in Anchorage (he stopped traffic on one of the main roads), some Bear on the road to Seward (way up on the side of the mountain. a person let us look at the Bear through his scope.), and saw some Dall Sheep way up the mountain side near there as well.

The evening we left Donna and I met Snowbear for dinner at the Glacier Brew House. Great food by the way and Snowbear is a really nice lady. If anyone ever gets the chance to meet her, do so.

Snowbear, thank you so much for driving an hour to meet with Donna and me for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom