DVT or ACD. A good thing or bad thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeorgeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey and Ft. Lauderdale, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
I wonder if DVT (Dry Valve Technology) or ACD (Auto-Closure Device) is a good thing. I am not debating the regulators that use this technology but the technology itself.

The manufactures marketing team states it will keep the first stage free of dust, water and other contaminates that could enter the traditional open first stage. The concept is the first stage will remain closed until you take a breath. The pressure from the tank presses open a spring loaded valve allowing the gas to pass into the first stage. What happens if you rent a tank on vacation that happens to have some water or vapor in the tanks valve or worse in the tank. The water would enter the ACD or DVT and possibly sit there unnoticed due to the valve remaining sealed. I know a responsible diver should purge the valve before attaching to the tank however some of the vacation spots want to “set up” the gear for you and I noticed some divers allow them to do that service.

Is the traditional way of keeping the first stage open to see if there is contamination on the filter still the best way? The filter can be a tell tale sign if there is salt contamination from a dive or a bad compressor lurking at the local shop. I don’t know if the ACD or DVT keeps a filter in the front visible or behind the valve. Someone please comment on this if you know the answer.

Does the ACD or DVT keep water sealed in the regulator allowing bacteria to form or corrosion to start? Or does it keep water and contaminations out? Please discuss.

Back
Top Bottom