P Valve Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarryWhisman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 5 dives now in my new compressed neoprene dry suit with my dive rite balanced p valve but things aren't working out like I thought they would.

The problem is the catheter has blown off my johnson the last 2 times out.

The way I see it there are two possibilities:

1) Although I'm using 32lb of integrated lead, it's not enough to allow me to put very much air in my suit. In fact as my HP120 starts to run low I can't tolerate any air in the suit at all on my ascent. I'm 6'6" and 250lb and my most recent dives have been no deeper than 40'. The much more experienced guys I've been diving with are saying I shouldn't go under with all the air out of my BC and suit when I begin my dive but rather the water should be even with my mask. Frankly I'm having a hard time understanding that because how am I going to maintain a slow ascent with an empty tank if I don't sink with a full one? My plan is to add a weight belt to get some of the lead out of my BC plus another 5-10lb. I'm thinking maybe the tight suit is keeping the valve from working properly.

2) I've been using a Freedom catheter by Mentor and I'm thinking maybe I need something different. I did some SB research and ordered some Wide Bands so maybe that will help.

The valve works fine on the surface and I'm sure I have the right size catheter.

Anyone else had this problem??

Hmmm... compressed neoprene... HP steel tank... little air in suit... 32 pounds!
Somehow that just doesn't seem right.
Are you wearing really, really, really thick undies?
What's your body only buoyancy? (How much does it take to sink you in just a bathing suit?)
You must be trapping considerable air somewhere...
Rick

Wide bands never come off... never. I have to bust out a belt sander to get the things off.

HarryWhisman:
......The much more experienced guys I've been diving with are saying I shouldn't go under with all the air out of my BC and suit when I begin my dive but rather the water should be even with my mask.....

Well I don't know the other factors in play here, but if I couldn't get under with all the air out of my wing and suit at the beginning of a dive I'd call myself underweighted....

What do you do to finally manage to get under then?

loosebits:
Wide bands never come off... never. I have to bust out a belt sander to get the things off.

I have had two come off (one with disastrous results) and recently they seem to be adhering less and less well ... maybe my whatsit is shrinking?

HarryWhisman:
I have 5 dives now in my new compressed neoprene dry suit with my dive rite balanced p valve but things aren't working out like I thought they would.

The problem is the catheter has blown off my johnson the last 2 times out.

Ah Harry, I think mabe you forgot to type in "of", If not I'd have real issues with that catheter.:wink:

Sorry I don't have any advise, but I felt the need to respond after mopping off my moniter. Best of luck.:lol:

Hmmm. maybe you guys should get your own forum for this kind of thing? My first thought is typically female: all guys are in denial about size. :laughing:

TheRedHead:
Hmmm. maybe you guys should get your own forum for this kind of thing? My first thought is typically female: all guys are in denial about size. :laughing:

Even an oversized catheter (1 size) should work fine. I had to go up 1 size in widebands once because I ran out and it was all I had left and I had no issues. The adhesive is pretty strong. Going a size smaller, on the other hand, is painful.

If you are sweating a lot, the glue won't stick worth a damn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom