Exceptional Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Brad

Reaction score
You know I've been around the block more times then I care to remember, but it seems each time I receive exceptional customer service, whether from our industry, or outside, I am always so grateful and appreicative of them going the extra mile.

So here is the question: What has been your most exceptional customer service experience? What was it about the experience that makes you come back? How can we all learn to improve from what you've experienced?

It can be within our industry, or outside, let hear those awesome experiences.

Having said all of that...........I supposed we can learn from your worst experience as well. So if your willing we'll be happy to read both.

Happy Diving

Okay, I'll go first.
My best experience at an LDS was when I was trying to buy a mask. I have a hard time telling if a mask is going to fit well in the store. The salesperson was able to diagnose my problem re fittting (I have a difficult face), had me try on a few masks in the store, and concluded that none of those he sells would fit me better than what I already own. I couldn't believe he so honest as to recommend me not to buy there.

I didn't buy anything then, but I remembered the experience a year later when I needed a new wetsuit. Unfortunately that person was no longer with the shop.

I've had many satisfying and memorable experiences as a consumer and some similar to your Mask example.

Here's one that's scuba related: I have a Zeagle Stiletto, arguably the finest BCD ever created, and yet I got the urge for something new and a hankering for a DR Transpac. I called Joe at Scubatoy's and started asking questions about a Transpac. At some point he asks, so why do you want a Transpac and what BC do you have now? To which, I said a Zeagle Stiletto. Joe said you have one of the best BCD's on the market so why would you want a Transpac? Joe suggested I save my money and he talked me out of buying it giving up a $600+ sale.

At that moment Joe became my consultant and advisor, not just a vendor. He earned my trust. That's good service and that's good business.

BTW: I never could get the Transpac out of my mind and decided to buy one anyway. Can you guess who I bought it from? Can you guess who I also bought 2 new wetsuits from? Can you guess who I just ordered my first oxygen analyzer from?

My first experience with our local LDS was great. My fiancee and I went in to buy a complete set of gear (minus tanks) from them. The owner stayed two hours past closing helping and answering questions. Granted, we were getting ready to drop a lot of change, but I think he would have stayed regardless. In the end, we both got great gear, great information, and he ended up beating most online prices as well. Win-win for all involved.

I am currenly working out an issue with a piece of merchandise from Oceanic, if everything ends the way it sounds, they will deserve an A+ in my book.
I have no reason to believe other wise, but it's not over.

How ever everyone that I've had dealings with up to now have worked hard on my behalf for a positive out come, and have a great phone side manner.

Chris

Mares has always been an easy call when something needed help. They have replaced with new some things that I have owned for years but gave little use to. Everything from masks to computers. They are a fine example.

USD replaced a BCD that was seven years old because of a design issue.

I have some antique UK dive lights that are in the 1 Megawatt arena. UK, although sometimes out of parts, the techs and secretarial staff always exhibited a great sense of humor and willingness to improvise or make suggestions. They are all still operational.

Beauchat? I sent them a heel pocket fin that had gotten ripped out in SE Asia, we made it operational with cable ties, duct tape and plastic... they got such a smile out of it they sent me a new set of free dive fins. Thank you, Donna.

The crews on my favorite dive boats, the dive staff at CoCoView are always watching you but you never notice. From the baggage handlers to the kitchen girls. Aces.

The entire staff of the Nekton liveaboards. Most impressive and attentive.

Good to hear some positive experiences. I have had some good experiences with quite a few places, but there are some places that have done an exceptional job, time after time. For me those places are:
Tech Diving Limted, Phil Ellis with Dive Sports, Deep Sea Supply, Halcyon, and Extreme Exposure. These places have consistantly done a great job, have earned my business, and are at the top of my short list of places that I recommend.

Jason thank you for the reminder............there is no reason not to name those who did a wonderful job for you. Well I guess for the matter naming those who didn't also.

Happy Diving

Only been diving for 6 months now, and I already have 3 kudos !!!

( Let me set-up that first one ... During my last trip to the Carribean, I did not have my own BC and on a dive, the only BC they had left was a size large ... My BC in SM !! You can imagine what I looked like under water !!! That thing was coming up to my ears !!! So when I got off the plane, the only thing I wanted to do is to buy my own BC. The first LSD I went, I told the sales person I was just getting info on BCs ... He told me to come back whenever I was ready to buy ??? )

- Action Scuba is my LSD here in Montréal, Canada. The first time I set foot in the store, the sales person there greeted me and started to chat Diving with me for at least 20 minutes ... Then I told him I was looking to get info on BCs ... He asked me the obvious questions. Told him I was basically looking for something for Photography Diving. During the next 30 minutes, he explained advantages and disadvantages of different BCs, and even took apart a Zeagle Stiletto BC, and telling me that each and every part can be bought seperatly ... if ever need be !!! He then concluded by telling me that whenever I needed info on any product, not to be shy and drop by... He then put back the BC on it's rack and we discussed diving for another 15 minutes.

You guessed it, I walked out of the store with a Zeagle BC, and been buying my equipment there ever since .... This weekend, I am getting AOW certified with them !!

----------------------------------------------

- Last month, bought my first PDC, an Oceanic VEO 180Nx ( Do I have to tell you where I bought it ?? ) and I had 2 questions ...Went on Oceanic web site and used on-line customer service. The next morning, I received an Email from Oceanic with the answers to my questions.

----------------------------------------------

- Last but not least, on PADI.com, I registered myself and logged my dives in My Padi.
I'm Canadian, and so far, I've only been diving while on vacation in Cuba. Since it is forbiden by US laws to mention anything that's Cuban, I could not logged my dives !!!
Went on-line and asked a couple of questions to Canadian branch of Padi.
The next day, I received 2 Emails. 1 from PADI Canada, and another from the PADI webmaster in California ,explaining that particularity on US law

So kudos to Action Scuba, Oceanic and PADI.​

I've been working in customer service for the last 20 years, and responses like this are " few and far between them..."

I posted about this yesterday in the South Florida forum so I'll give the short version this time. Captain Todd of the American Dream II (http://scubafortlauderdale.com) took the boat out after all the divers but myself cancelled so as to not ruin my morning. That's a lot of $3/gal diesel fuel just to make me happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom