OMS Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have their steel backplate, 60 lbs wing, a 10W HID light, and their O2 analyzer. I am happy with all of it.

The plate has all the holes drilled and smoothed- there is a slot for 1" and 2" crotch straps so that you don't need to drill or cut the plate to switch between the sizes. There are three holes for mounting the tanks so there is some flexibility with trim. I've never used it for single tanks, but it looks like there are slots in the plate for a cam band, so I suppose it could be used with a single tank.

250 dives and 2.5 years later, and the BC and bladder still look good. Both the inner bladder and covering are tough as nails- no snags, cuts, or tears. The inflator hose is showing a little wear at the elbow. The hose might be a bit long for some tastes. The inflator has been maintenance free.

I like my 10W light. I did have to send it back to fix a faulty switch after 2 years, otherwise, it has been trouble free and DRY!. I throw it in my gear bag with my liftbags and sausages, but other than that, it doesn't get a beer cozy or special treatment. The head is super compact, but it isn't focusable. I plan to keep it when I "upgrade" to a focusable HID light.

I also have the O2 analyzer, which is 2.5 years old and still on the original O2 sensor, although it is approaching the end of it's life. I don't do anything special (put it in the fridge, cap the sensor, or store it in a zip lock baggie full of argon, etc.) It just sits on the shelf in the garage.

I also have several of their SPGs- the small and the large one. I think all of these are essentailly made by the same Italian company, so they are proabably equivalent in quality to other manufacturers.

OK, while I'm listing all my gear, I also have 2 spools- the 75' and 150'. I put #24 line on them and they hold plenty of line.

I've never used their regs.

I think some people discount OMS, but I think they make solid gear.- just pick and choose the pieces that fit the diving you do. I should also disclose that I only dive in fresh water, so that helps keep the gear looking good.

The only part of my OMS gear that looks weared are the OMS logo embroided patches on the wing, after a tad over 200 dives in salt water and my mask frame is covered with some rubberish material that started peeling before using it, but it's the best fitting mask I've wore in my life, after 50 or so dives, it's working perfectly.

I clean the gear well after every dive trip and make sure is dry before storing it.

In my opinion, their gear is bulletproof and uses only top notch materials.

I planning on getting a light from them after my camera purchase. I have seen them and they are well made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom