Not sure where to ask: Las Vegas/Lake Mead diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Going to Vegas in two weeks, wondering about diving Lake Mead on tuesday the 12th.

Any advice/insights appreciated.

Ray

You might want to PM Lake Mead Tony - for obvious reasons...

Lake Mead Tony has a boat he takes out on the lake, but I think he can only head out on weekends. You won't find any other boats going out during the week. They rarely go out on the weekends there.

Lake Mead has a Scuba Park, but it isn't that great. The water level is down about 100' right now and the max depth you can get in the park is about 30'. It's a sandy bottom with not much to see. They do have some "wrecks", but those are even less now due to the dropping level.

You would be better off driving 90 minutes south to Lake Mohave. There you can dive in Cabinsite Cove. You can hit 80' easily right off shore. There is also a bus, van, and boat in the 2 coves.

I was in both lakes last month. Water temp in Mead was mid 80s, no thermocline. Viz 10'. Water temp in Mohave dropped down to 63 below the thermocline. The thermocline varied the days we were there. It was moving anywhere from 10' to 30'. Really strange. Viz 20'.

You can also check out my website for more info and photos of both lakes.

I dove the lake in July. I don't see any reason to ever do it again. The only difference between what I saw sitting on the boat and looking at the terrain wand looking at the underwater terrain while diving was the water.

However, I did just learn about this site recently on another board. It looks like it has some promising dive sites. All of them require a boat, though, and I don't think these guys can get out during the week.

Dive-aholic:
However, I did just learn about this site recently on another board. It looks like it has some promising dive sites. All of them require a boat, though, and I don't think these guys can get out during the week.

Rob, the link that you provided needs to be in its own thread. That is such a cool site with a really cool link to the company who found the B-29 Bomber that gives some more history on it: http://www.indepthconsulting.com . It sounds like there are a few other sites as well that would peak a few peoples intrest here in Phoenix.

It is a cool site. I've exchanged pm's with one of the Steves and have tentative plans to dive with them. I'm not diving scooters yet, but they're willing to do swim dives, so it will be possible. I just need to plan a trip back up to Vegas now. :D

The indepth site is also cool. It's been a while since I've been on that one. They have great footage of the B-29.

Garrett, I'm sure you'll be there not too long from now. You have the skill.

Thanks for the usefull info!. I'll be in the vegas area 2nd week of October. I was thinking of getting in a dive while I was there. Now I think its not worth the hassle of hauling my gear on the plane for a couple of meadiocre dives. The tech stuff looks cool, but I don't have the gear or the money for that type of fun.

Back
Top Bottom