How tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avw

Reaction score
I just replaced the hose on my primary regulator (went from a 30" to a 40" to help in air sharing--I donate primary and switch to secondary.). I was wondering how much I should tighten the connection, both to the first and second stages. The old hose came loose pretty easily with a set of crescent wrenches, and I was worried about crushing the o-rings. I snugly tightened both connections using a wrench, but I did not bear down on it as hard as I could.

I'm diving this weekend, so I'll get a chance to test it for leaks, but I was hoping someone with experience might let me know their normal practice.

Thanks
Adam

Just good and snug. You want it tight enough to compress the o-ring, but not so tight that you rupture it.

Screw it in by hand and then just give it a good "snug up" with a wrench.

A very, very light application of lube will help.

the K

Thanks K! This is what I expected, but being my first "repair":wink: on my "life saving equipment", I wanted to check with someone who has done it before.

BTW, I've been lurking here for a long time, but this was the first time I had a question for posting. Thanks to everybody on the board for all the great info!

Adam

We're glad you're here!!

the K

Kraken,

Your description remindes me of what one of my architecture professors said once when asked how sharp a pencil should be. His reply after a brief pause:

"Sharp enough to draw a thin line , but not sharp enough to hurt yourself."

I'm sure there is a torque spec somewhere out there in cyber-diving land . . .

But you know, it's kinda like your Mama's biscuit recipe . . . "... you put just a l -i -i -i ttle bit of soad in . . ."

I can see some nimrod showing up at his LDS after he buys a new regulator set with a torque wrench to verify the torque specs of the hoses after the shop tech assembled it.

the K

The Kraken:
I'm sure there is a torque spec somewhere out there in cyber-diving land . . .
A quick glance at a couple of repair manuals:
Aqualung: 40 inch-pounds
Atomic: 30 inch-pounds
Oceanic: 35-40 inch-pounds
I suspect most manufacturers would be similar.

basically if you crank it you will malform the oring which is more likely to then leak and will have to be replaced for sure next service. You really crank it and you strip threads. Snug is the best description as most don't have tha tools to torque spec the hose(including most shops)

inch-pounds? Is tha like 0.11 newton meters?

Tighten it up about one umph shy of a grunt !!!

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom