Zeagle escape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, welcome to the board. I have not used an Escape but I have both of it's brothers, a Ranger and a Scout. I like both of them. I use the Ranger for diving offshore here in the Carolinas and anytime I need more weight (when wearing a thick wet suit for example)or want/need to carry along more stuff than the Scout will handle. I use the Scout for warm water diving when I am not carrying more than a camera and a light and don't need more that a few pounds of weight. In general, Zeagle products are of high quality and have a good warranty. All of the Zeagle line uses a sizing system that is somewhat different. You can order the shoulder straps and the waist strap in any size and match them together. If you are tall and skinny, large shoulder straps and a small waist strap or small shoulder straps and a large waist strap if you are short and round.
The Escape seems to be a good compromise between the two. Unless you intend to get into tech diving it should do nicely. The Ripcord weight system works well and if you use the weight pouches, it is simple to load and unload. I have seen several comments about having trouble with the system but as of yet no one can tell me what the problem was, mine has given me no trouble over the last 4 years. Makes me wonder if it was the weight system or the operator.
All of the Zeagle BC's are back inflation and have intergrated weights. If you have not dove a back inflate BC, they are a bit different. Some people like them, others do not. I like the back inflations although it does take some getting use to, esp at the surface, underwater they are great. I also prefer intergrated weights, it ends fighting with a weightbelt. No more sliding or rotating weightbelts. Again, some like intergrated, others do not.

Guess I might as well warn you that there are some here who dislike anything but a BP and wings so be prepared to hear them trash everything else. BP's are not bad pieces of equipment and def have their place, they just aren't what I like.

herman once bubbled...

Guess I might as well warn you that there are some here who dislike anything but a BP and wings so be prepared to hear them trash everything else. BP's are not bad pieces of equipment and def have their place, they just aren't what I like.

Welcome to the board! I have used the Escape and found it to be a nice BC. I ended up buying a Scubapro Knighthawk because I like the SP integrated weights a little better. Both BC's are back inflates which I really like a lot. A BP/Wings setup is back inflate also but can be pretty hard to find in a local dive shop. Not much demand for them otherwise more shops would carry them.

I am looking forward to trying a set myself but God help me on this board if I do and don't like them...a lot of the BP/Wing users here remind me of religious fundamentalists...their way is the only way...you will go to hell if you use a jacket BC etc.

I will probably like them for the simple reason that they are compact when stuffing in my dive bag. In the water I already feel pretty "connected" with my tank and BC. I used to ski race when I was younger...and in order to "feel connected" to my skis I wore a race boot that had very little padding and was very snug. It was great for racing but I didn't need that kind of boot for the kind of skiing I do now, recreational racing and goofing off with friends. Now I have a little more padding, a little more comfort. BP/Wings are like ski race boots. The Zeagles and Knighthawk remind me more of the boots that are best for the general skiing public.

I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom