PDA

View Full Version : Where to do AOW in early October?

echo5506
August 31st, 2006, 06:56 PM
Hi,

I'm in the Bay Area and would like to head somewhere warm to do my AOW course. Some people have suggested Hawaii or Cozumel. Does anyone have any other sites they might recommend? Also, any particular dive shops with DM you could recommend? (Hawaii and Cozumel included!!) I have about 7-9 days I can get away.

Thanks! :blinking:

dlndavid
August 31st, 2006, 06:59 PM
some realy cheep fares to Hawaii

wed-wed

$302 Roundtrip avg/person (from $604 total) Web Fare

3:15 pm Depart San Francisco (SFO)
Arrive Honolulu (HNL) 5:30 pm Wed 4-Oct
Duration: 5hr 15mn Northwest 221
Nonstop flight

sat-sat

$342 Roundtrip avg/person (from $684 total) Web Fare

3:15 pm Depart San Francisco (SFO)
Arrive Honolulu (HNL) 5:30 pm Sat 7-Oct
Duration: 5hr 15mn Northwest 221
Nonstop flight

RJP
August 31st, 2006, 07:01 PM
I did my AOW with Kapalua Dive Company in Maui - highly reccomended.

Also, Lahaina Divers in Maui was a good shop.

If you want to do Kona - and who wouldn't - you could go with Dive Makai.

ScubaCatgirl
August 31st, 2006, 07:02 PM
Turks & Caico's & the Cayman's are both really good spots to dive & have many excellant dive shops to do the training.

If you go to the Cayman's, I personally would do my training w/Ocean Frontiers. Their the Best! :D

echo5506
August 31st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Hey ScubaCatGirl,

Thanks for the reply. Is early October a good time with the hurricanes and such?

Thanks,

Jim

echo5506
August 31st, 2006, 07:50 PM
BTW,

Thanks alot to everyone who replied. I very much appreciate it.

Jim

RJP
August 31st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Hey ScubaCatGirl,

Thanks for the reply. Is early October a good time with the hurricanes and such?

Thanks,

Jim

October is iffy in October. Could be fine, or you could be in for a ride!

Personally, I wouldn't do the carribean in October. Not worth the risk of spending your whole trip in the room.

HappyFunBoater
August 31st, 2006, 08:39 PM
Uh ... Which Bay Area?

I'm in the Tampa Bay Area.

jbd
August 31st, 2006, 09:15 PM
If you're on the west coast I would suggest heading north to see NWGrateful Diver for AOW. Top notch course.

Tienuts
August 31st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Come to Fort Lauderdale. Over 100 awsome wreck sites from Palm Beach to Miami, great reefs, plus Key Largo - the dive capitol of the world just an hour away. The water is nice and warm in october - around 80 degrees.

Plus I offer advanced classes whenever you want.

echo5506
August 31st, 2006, 11:09 PM
HappyFunBoater,

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

HappyFunBoater
September 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM
HappyFunBoater,

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Bummer. The Carribbean is great, but as other have pointed out, you probably don't want to schedule a trip here during hurricane season... unless you're able to get incredibly flexible flights and hotels.

spankey
September 1st, 2006, 09:35 AM
mozambique, you will get to see manta's and whale sharks :)

ScubaCatgirl
September 1st, 2006, 07:21 PM
I've always done the Carribean between October & December. Yes, it is Hurricane season & yes, I have been extremely lucky. But I have been traveling these dates down to the Hurricane Belt now for 6 years. Have yet to run into a Hurricane. I do this cause it is Low Season & I get that many more dives for my buck!!! ;)

October is a good time in the Carribean as long as your aware that by some off chance, you might experience some bad weather.

Your better off, if you can go closer to the end of Hurricane Season as in December. December, typically does not have a lot of Hurricane's, we'll except for last year & I went to the Caymans last year, missed Wilma by a month.

I have done the DR over Halloween. Playa Del Carmen in November & December & Turks & Caico's in September.

Really, it's just a luck of the draw if you choose to go during Hurrican Season, but man, some of those prices can't be beat! :D

TheRedHead
September 1st, 2006, 07:24 PM
The southern Caribbean is always good this time of year. Bonaire would be an excellent choice.

mred
September 1st, 2006, 07:45 PM
You can never go wrong going to Hawaii :-) I did my AOW with Aqua Zone in Honolulu and they were fun to work with ... some AWESOME dives there too and some very unique things ... do you deep dive on the corsair it is AWESOME! Nice field of garden eels sitting beside the plane ... make sure you take your camera ... vis will be over 100 feet and temps around 78-80.

echo5506
September 3rd, 2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice to everyone that's replied. I decided on Kona (Big Island). ScubaCatGirl, I would love to have your luck, but I find that I'm a bit of a black cloud when it comes to luck with weather (pun intended). But I definitely plan on going to the Carribeans next year. Now it's time to look for recommendations for dive instructors and shops on the Big Island!!

RJP
September 3rd, 2006, 06:40 AM
Now it's time to look for recommendations for dive instructors and shops on the Big Island!!

Dive Makai - and if you go with them see if you can pick up my hat. I left it on the boat back in April.

:-)

mred
September 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice to everyone that's replied. I decided on Kona (Big Island).

I am going to Kona (Big Island) in Oct ... Let us know who you decided to dive with, and how it turned out ... from what I have been reading I looks to be awesome.

Quero
September 3rd, 2006, 09:20 PM
In your geographic location and given the hurricane season in the Gulf of Mexico, you're right to opt for Hawaii for a warm AOW course. (Although I wimpily find Hawaii waters "cool" compared to what I'm used to here in SE Asia, LOL).

some realy cheep fares to Hawaii

In addition to the NWA fares dlndavid mentions, check out Aloha's fares from Oakland. Very low prices if the timing is right for you.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1