Compass removal on AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is it possible to remove the compass on the Aeris AI and DataMax Pro+2 computers where they are integrated into the console??

With the new TSA rules about liquids, I concerned that they will tell us to check our computers, which frankly makes me twitch. Removing the compasses seems to make the most sense if it's possible.

Thanks Doug. I see that the Pro+2 has 3 little screws to detach the compass (cool!), but the Aeris AI has a more seamless design. Can you give me a hint on how to remove it, or is this something I need to take to my LDS?

I took a tiny screwdriver to my Aeris and the bezel popped off pretty easily giving me access to the compass. I suppose that's the same thing I should do to the Pro+2??

Stupid TSA is just making things a pain.....

DiveMaven:
Is it possible to remove the compass on the Aeris AI and DataMax Pro+2 computers where they are integrated into the console??

With the new TSA rules about liquids, I concerned that they will tell us to check our computers, which frankly makes me twitch. Removing the compasses seems to make the most sense if it's possible.

Wow! I would have never thought about the compass falling under the TSA rules about liquids. Does anyone know of anybody that has experienced a problem with it? I take my regulator and computer as carry on when flying but haven't flown since they instituted the no liquids rule. I rarely, if ever, take my computer out of my carry on in flight though. I was always afraid that some non diver seated nearby might think I was setting a timing device like in the James Bond movies and start freaking out. As a side note I would hope that LCD (liquid Crystal Display) wouldn't fall into the liquids category.

Yes people are being forced to check their compasses.
See the thread about no more liquid carryons.

I just went through this removel on mine and my wifes Aeris AI.
There are 2 different versions of the compass and boots.
1 is easy one is a bear. The newer one is the bear.
ScubaToys did the removal for me.
The older compass has a square opening to view the degrees
on the side and the bezel clicks but isn't as loud or as snappy
as newer one. The newer compass has a much higher pitch click
when rotating the bezel. The newer compass also has a larger
trapezoidal opening on the side (flat bottom and angled sides).

With the older one, you can just grab the bezel and pull up
on it and it comes out. The newer one, well not sure how they
did it but it did involve screwdrivers and was done behind
the counter and I probably was glad I didn't watch.

--- bill

I repeat...Wow.....Bill thank you for the insight. I am really pretty new on ScubaBoard, would you be able to point me in the direction of that thread and give me how many kick cycles I need to get there?

P.S. As a scuba equipment technician I know the value of Screwdrivers and you are right it probably was better that you didn't watch

We aren't flying until December so hopefully the rules relax a little by then, but if they don't, I won't take any chances and will pop the compasses out at home so I can pack them safely in my dive bag.

My Aeris AI is almost 3 years old and getting the bezel off wasn't hard....guess I have one of the older ones. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom