Caribbean Maps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm look for a map of the Caribean area, with Florida and the Gulf. Belize and Routan areas as well. Basically all the great tropical dive spots on easy to read size.
Any suggestions, links to online sales, etc?

TIA

ABQ,

A little late, but here are a few suggestions.

One book that I have in my collection may be out of print: I got it a long time ago: it was published in 1991 by Immel Publishing Ltd. It is the "Caribbean Divers' Guide" with the text by Peter Vine. It's a nice book with text and maps of nearly all of the Caribbean from Anguila to U.S. Virgin Islands(32 countries). There is even an "Area Map" of the whole Caribbean!

Beyond the maps and text describing the various islands, there is also about 80 pages of text and photos of the flora and fauna you will see in the Carib.

It is just one excellent book!

Another book which is directed at the general tourist, but is pretty decent in descibing the propects for diving is "Caribbean Vacations" by Karl Luntta. We discovered St. Kitts due this nice book. Now, St. Kitts may not be a scuba paradise, but it is a nice place to dive with lots of good sea life and a very slow down attitude. But do not let me downgrade the diving: it is very nice and most of the dive sites are just a few minutes from the dock. One more benefit: the views of Nevis and St. Kitts from the dive boat are quite spectacular. You will definitely want to take a camera aboard.

But I digress! One more source of maps: the airlines magazines. I have cut out quite a few and use them as references. They give you a good feel for the geography and if you collect them from several airlines, you will know, to a first approximation, what routes they fly.

Hope the helps.

Scorpionfish

scorpionfish once bubbled...
ABQ,

One book that I have in my collection may be out of print: I got it a long time ago: it was published in 1991 by Immel Publishing Ltd. It is the "Caribbean Divers' Guide" with the text by Peter Vine. It's a nice book with text and maps of nearly all of the Caribbean from Anguila to U.S. Virgin Islands(32 countries). There is even an "Area Map" of the whole Caribbean!

Thanks for your help. I actually found the book new on Barnes & Noble and ordered it.
I'm going to the Carribean tomorrow and plan to dive both St. Maarteen and St. Thomas while we're there.
I plan on looking for maps of the area and the Gulf of Mexico while I'm there. Might be easier to pick up a map of the "local" area.

Thanks again for your help.

ABQ,

If you are on St. Thomas, and have not already made dive arrangements, try Blue Island Divers. They are a great crew and they dive the west side of the island, a much better side than the east side. I would stay away from Aqua Safaris as they tend to cater to the cruise ships and have a multitude of divers on most dives (1 multitude = 40 divers!).

If you want to see some real world class diving while you are on St. Maarten, take the "ferry" over to Saba and go with Saba Deep (my favorites) or Sea Saba. You will get some wonderful dives in.

I hope this is not too late!

Scorpionfish

ABQ,

will be going to st martin day after thanksgiving. was there in july and enjoyed the island. just got certified "open water" and plan to do my very first "non testing" dives there. please drop a line about where you dived, what you saw, who you would recommend diving with. i am staying at divi lille bay near phillipsburg and plan to head over to anguilla (again) and st barts. hope all went well for you.

be sure you go to Saba to get a day of diving in. Saba is probably the best that part of the Caribbean has to offer.

slowe once bubbled...
ABQ,

will be going to st martin day after thanksgiving. was there in july and enjoyed the island. just got certified "open water" and plan to do my very first "non testing" dives there. please drop a line about where you dived, what you saw, who you would recommend diving with. i am staying at divi lille bay near phillipsburg and plan to head over to anguilla (again) and st barts. hope all went well for you.

Yep,

Just hop the ferry over to Saba and enjoy some of the very best diving in the Carib. In fact, were it I, I would skip diving St. Maarten altogether and just do Saba.

However, the scenary (pulcritudinous type) on the beaches of St. Maarten is hard to beat. This is especially true of the French side of the island. Since this is a family channel, I will not write any more, but you get the idea!

Back to Saba: you can arrange for diving with Sea Saba or Saba Deep whilst on St. Maarten. Or you can take a chance and go over without reservations. Usually, there is room on one of the boats, but you will be taking a some risk.

By the way, if you go with Saba Deep, they normally come back in between dives and you can do your SI whilst sipping a virgin pina colada in the dockside restaurant/bar, a wonderful way to get rid of nitrogen! One more thing about Saba Deep: Big Mike the dm is a legendary character. He can be gruff on the outside, but is a masterful guide and will get you to the very best sites!

Scorpionfish

Thanks all for your replys. This trip was in conjunction with a Disney cruise with the family and there was not an abundance of time to do a lot of stops. However, the any diving is better than no diving.....

scorpionfish once bubbled...
Yep,
Just hop the ferry over to Saba and enjoy some of the very best diving in the Carib. In fact, were it I, I would skip diving St. Maarten altogether and just do Saba.

I think your right! From what I've read, Saba get rave reviews and will be on the agenda next time we're close. The dive shop I went out on was Dive Safari, and I was less than impressed. Both dives we made were in about 3-4 knot current and made the going a bit tough and would have been better as a drift dive.
The DM were OK, but not to aware of the groups experience levels. There were a brand new wife and husband team that was having a bit of difficulty that was for all general purposes ignored.

However, the sites and fish were cool, and I can't wait to get back to the Carribean for more diving ASAP.

Just back from a week in St. Marteen and a trip to Saba. We were able to get Winair round trip for $29 - far cheaper than the usual price and less time then the vomit-comet ferry. Beware landing and take off!

While on Saba we dive with the Mikes - Big Mike & Little Mike at Saba Deep. Both great guys. On St. Mart we dive with LeRoy French of Ocean Explorers, Kimsha Beach (Simpson Bay). LeRoy has been there 20 yrs., max 6 divers, does a lot of repeat business, not the 'resort course' type. Check out their web site for more info or pm me and I can send link.

St. Marteen diving is not spectacular, but not bad. Convenient when part of the crowd doesn't dive, you can do 2 morn dives, be back for lunch and hit one of the 30-some beaches. As for the crowd, Scorpionfish last week I saw mostly middle age men with a paunch.

Bad news for those of us who love the lack of isolation on Saba - LeRoy is shooting promotional videos for Saba, St. Marteen and Statia. Due out December.

Jersey once bubbled...
As for the crowd, Scorpionfish last week I saw mostly middle age men with a paunch.

Hi, Jersey!

Were you on the French side of the island? If so, it is a sad day for gawkers! If not, well, Dutch paunch has been well known since the days when Burghers of Holland ruled the planet.

Saba may be Paradise Lost someday, but for now it is still Paradise. I am not certain how much damage can be done, though, since the island is so small and not really amenable to development for beach lovers, etc. However, humans can ruin almost anything!

Scorpionfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom