7.7L tank, useful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prepare

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a cheap 7.7L steel tank, but im hesitant because when I first started diving I brought 2 steel 10L tanks which were expensive and found they werent large enough(capacity wise) for me.

I know there are 100s of threads on ponys on this board, but would a 7.7L (~55ish CuF) steel tank be considered TO big for a pony?.

Im guessing I would have to side mount it, because of its size too.

If I move into more technical diving in the next 12 months would it still be useful then?

What I really DONT want to do is buy something thats to big for a pony but to small for a deco bottle, or any other use.

Could it be used as a deco bottle?. Also, would it be wise to keep my 2 10L tanks?. I found I couldnt keep up with my buddies diving AL80s so I packed them up.

Doing TDI nitrox/Adv Nitrox/Deco procedures next year, will the 7.7L or the 10L be useful then at all?.

But until I do those courses (maybe 9 months away) I was thinking about using the 7.7L as a pony because the 10L are a little to big I think, would this be feasible??.

Thanks

:band:

Prepare once bubbled...
I have the chance to buy a cheap 7.7L steel tank, but im hesitant because when I first started diving I brought 2 steel 10L tanks which were expensive and found they werent large enough(capacity wise) for me.

I know there are 100s of threads on ponys on this board, but would a 7.7L (~55ish CuF) steel tank be considered TO big for a pony?.

Im guessing I would have to side mount it, because of its size too.

If I move into more technical diving in the next 12 months would it still be useful then?

What I really DONT want to do is buy something thats to big for a pony but to small for a deco bottle, or any other use.

Could it be used as a deco bottle?. Also, would it be wise to keep my 2 10L tanks?. I found I couldnt keep up with my buddies diving AL80s so I packed them up.

Doing TDI nitrox/Adv Nitrox/Deco procedures next year, will the 7.7L or the 10L be useful then at all?.

But until I do those courses (maybe 9 months away) I was thinking about using the 7.7L as a pony because the 10L are a little to big I think, would this be feasible??.

Thanks

:band:

The 7.7 will make a good sidemount, as will the 10's for a longer or deeper dive. I don't sell any of my tanks, as there's always a use for them. That's just me, I don't want to influence you. I'm not really used to the liter ratings, but I'm thinking the 10's would be about 72 cubic feet? If so, I'd hold on to them, steel tanks are expensive, and you'll never get your money back out of them. If you're planning on taking technical courses, you'll find having more than enough tanks is a good thing. There's nothing worse than planning 2 deep dives for one day, and having to beg, borrow, or steal enough tanks for your deco gas.

Basically, if you don't have to sell them for financial reasons, hang on to them. They will be useful down the road.

Hope I've helped, see you on the bottom,

Al.

Thanks for the advice,

I guess I will hold onto them then.

Yes the 10L is around 72CuF.

My real concern was the 7.7L(~54CuF) was to big for a pony, I see lots of people with 13CuF and 19 bottles and dont want to look like a fool carry around 3 or 4 times more gas then I need. But I guess you cn never have enough air :) so I will try it out.

Prepare once bubbled...
Thanks for the advice,

I guess I will hold onto them then.

Yes the 10L is around 72CuF.

My real concern was the 7.7L(~54CuF) was to big for a pony, I see lots of people with 13CuF and 19 bottles and dont want to look like a fool carry around 3 or 4 times more gas then I need. But I guess you cn never have enough air :) so I will try it out.

When I'm diving a single tank on shallower dives, I usually carry a 30 cubic foot aluminum bottle for a pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom