New Certified Diver looking for equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtyDeeds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All
I have just been certified and looking to buy equipment. I have received a price quote on some equipiment from Scubatoys and will buy once I have some extra money. I guess the question I have is that I have booked a trip to Curacao for Nov and want to buy my gear for the trip. How should I go about getting oriented with my new equipment before I go on my trip? I will not have a chance to go diving before then. Are the DM's usually helpful at these resorts(I am going to Sunset Waters) if you have any questions on equipment. I think the only piece I could have questions on are the dive computer.

Thanks,
DirtyDeeds

Why not buy it at the LDS where you got certified?

If not certified at an LDS, why not go to one and give them the opportunity to earn your business?

I certainly understand buying on-line to save money on stuff, but why not TRY local B&M dive shop first?

How do you know Scubatoys isn't his LDS?

To answer the original question: Do you know anyone who has a pool? You could get some familiarization with the gear in a pool.

Thanks RJP! I actually had a lot of problems with my local dive shop. I had three trips cancelled when I was going for my check out dives. I finally got a referral and went to Key Largo to do my check out dives. He also still has a deposit that he has not returned from one of the planned trips. It is going on six months. It has just been a headache dealing with them. I did get some price quotes from him and he was substainially higher. I will say that there is another dive shop in the area that I will check out. I just do not want to deal with anymore hassles and ScubaToys gets good reviews.

DirtyDeeds:
I just do not want to deal with anymore hassles and ScubaToys gets good reviews.

Ah, makes perfect sense!

Wasn't necessarily steering you away from on-line -- and certainly not any of the great dealers that are ScubaBoard sponsors -- just trying to understand the dynamic.

DirtyDeeds:
Hi All
I have just been certified and looking to buy equipment. I have received a price quote on some equipiment from Scubatoys and will buy once I have some extra money. I guess the question I have is that I have booked a trip to Curacao for Nov and want to buy my gear for the trip. How should I go about getting oriented with my new equipment before I go on my trip? I will not have a chance to go diving before then. Are the DM's usually helpful at these resorts(I am going to Sunset Waters) if you have any questions on equipment. I think the only piece I could have questions on are the dive computer.

Thanks,
DirtyDeeds

As already mentioned, your best bet would be to try the new equipment in a pool, either a friends, or at a local community pool. Worst case scenario, you can always take 1-2 extra dives beforehand to get used to it before you get on the charters. But frankly speaking, most pieces of gear are very similar and only differ slightly.

And since you are looking for some new gear to purchase, may I suggest an amazing computer for sale? Look right here. Not only because I am selling it, but because it is a computer that has good features and functions and can grow with you as you progress in your diving.

The only problem is I will not have access to a pool by the time I get my equipment. I will try the other local dive shop maybe they will let me go to the pool they use for classes if I buy from them. If not I will email Sunset Waters and ask them if one of their DM will be around the day I arrive and do I quick dive right off their beach to get used to all of my equipment. I am not scheduled to go out until the next morning.

Yeah, I would contact the dive shop maybe they have a pool you could jump in before your first dive.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but why can't you go diving locally in the next 2 months? It may not be your dream site but it sounds like your intention was to certify locally so the oppotunity seems to exist. Try looking for a mentor in your SB regional forum. Add some useful info to your profile and somebody may even step forward. If you're in southern Maine I step forward.

Going on vacation with untested and unfamilliar gear is like wearing a sign thats says "kick me" on your back side. Expecting a dive master to connect the dots is putting yourself in a "trust me" dive situation.

Pete

Pete
Good idea about going to the regional section. I joined a group in my area so hopefully I will meet some dive buddies and more expeienced divers to bounce some ideas off of. I tried to add a dive profile but was having problems with this web site. I will try again later. I live in the NY/NJ area and want to dive in warm water. The next month and half I am pretty busy (traveling for work and weddings on weekends) but I will see if I could get on a local dive trip once I get my equipment to test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom