Gauge redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selytch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really like this board being so helpful and active :D
I came across another question:
How many of us use gauge redundancy?
E.g. I use analog SPG, lt wrist compass and wireless computer rt wrist (just don't have transmitter for now :(, but for tank pressure I would use both )
Do I need an extra bottom timer/depth gauge and where do I put them?

I have an air intergrated/wireless dive computer backed up by an analog SPG/depth gauge along with a dive watch.

the K

I'd certainly have a back-up for any electronic function.

selytch:

Under what conditions do you think you would need that?

R..

Question -- how many first stages have two high pressure ports? I have a Cobra (air integrated console) and have thought about getting a wrist mount AI computer but even were I, my reg only has 1 high pressure port and I don't know how I'd mount two different pressure gauges.

selytch:
I really like this board being so helpful and active :D
I came across another question:
How many of us use gauge redundancy?
E.g. I use analog SPG, lt wrist compass and wireless computer rt wrist (just don't have transmitter for now :(, but for tank pressure I would use both )

Selytch
I am all about gauge redundancy too and I see nothing wrong about having an extra bottom timer/depth gauge. I have my compass on my left wrist. I have my Bottom timer/depth gauge (which is a Suunto D3) on my right wrist followed by my Computer (Tusa IQ-800). The Suunto D3 is strictly a Bottom timer and it's small which is what I was looking for in a bottom timer. I'm all about redundancy and being as streamlined as possible.

Peter Guy
There are many first stages with two HP ports, evey major company out there has one in their line of products. If you're thinking of using a standard SPG along with a wireless AI computer (I know many that do) then you may have to look for another regulator set up with two HP ports. You can never have too many regs! :14:

I have an analog SPG and Depth with compass and I have my computer on my wrist. Back-ups are a great idea.

Peter Guy:
Question -- how many first stages have two high pressure ports? I have a Cobra (air integrated console) and have thought about getting a wrist mount AI computer but even were I, my reg only has 1 high pressure port and I don't know how I'd mount two different pressure gauges.

Most of the regulators I've looked at recently have 2, except the least expensive in the manufacturer line. I'm pretty sure all Apeks ATX and XTX series have 2 HP ports. Why do you want 2 AIs instead of 1 AI and 1 analog?

I use my Cobra as my pressure gauge and it could function as backup time keeper. I use a wrist computer and no backup pressure gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom