Scuba toys Mares Ltd Reg. and BC package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandnew2Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
O.k. you guys have sold me on Scuba Toys over the other online shops, the 10% scubaboard member discount didn't hurt either. So as my name states I am brand new to the sport, so I'm thinking about buying everything I need in one shot. I was really liking the look and price tag of Scuba Toys "Mares Limited Edition Package". But then I read a string of posts here with most people bashing the Mares line. I don't quite understand is the Mares Limited Edition gear different from Mares regular equipment? Why would a scuba gear company make limited edition gear anyways? Is the service, availability of parts, and warranties really that bad? And are parts going to be even harder to find for limited edition gear? The reason I was looking at the Mares Ltd. package is because my local dive shop only services 4 different name brands, Mares being one of them. Everything else aside, would this be a good package for a new diver or would I need to upgrade within a year or two. I couldn't find any posts that answered these questions for me, and I've been looking. I emailed Larry some questions about this package, but would like to get some opinions that are completely objective, no offense Larry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I am loving this board!! Just so you don't have to link over to the website the package includes: Mares Limited Edition Morphos Metal Tech BCD, Mares Limited Edition Metal Tech Regulator , Mares Brigade Viper Octo, Mares RGBM AirLab Computer , and a free pair of Mares Quattro Metal Ltd Edition Fins.

I think you should ask yourself if the BC fits your diving goals and does it fit you? What are your future goals in diving? Do you plan to progress to deeper diving like wrecks? Generally the most experienced divers prefer simple, modular, high quality gear.

Oh ya, I guess I should have given some more details about my plans for the gear. Well I live on Lake Ontario and a half hour from Lake Erie, as well as a couple hours from the St. Lawrence. So I'll be doing exclusively fresh water diving, I don't think I'll ever want to go any deeper than 100 feet, and will probably never have the need of anything other than straight air in the tank. The water is pretty cold up here, so my gear will have to be able to handle the cold. I'm very interested in great Lakes shipwrecks, and eventually would like to take a wreck penetration course, but never below 100 feet. Hopefully that will help people give me some advice. Thanks.

You're going to be diving in very cold water and wearing a lot of exposure protection. First, I would consider the regulator. You need a high-quality, environmentally sealed regulator for those conditions. I think most people would recommend the Abyss over that particular Metal in the Mares line for that kind of diving. There are different Mares regulators with Metal in the name and it can be confusing. Find out what divers are using in your area for regulators. You shouldn't buy the regulator on price. It is what keeps you alive.

The BC has a lot of fluffy parts which you will need to compensate for with extra weight. You are going to be using a lot of weight with your exposure protection. You want one with the least amount of fluffy stuff, one that will do the job and not cause any drag or offer unessential features. In my opinion, there is nothing about that BC that recommends it and it has not been a popular BC and sold very poorly. Why are there so many of them left and on sale?

I second the Abyss- I think it's a great reg- I have four of them and I still want one more.

I'm not a big fan of the limited edition stuff and they wouldn't be my first choice. My preference is for less bells and whistles. For me, simpler is more betterer.

Also, if you are picking brands based on what your LDS carries, you might consider trying to buy it from them. They might offer a discount if you buy a package. I think Larry is a stand up guy, but having a relationship with your dive shop might be useful.

do it easy:
I second the Abyss- I think it's a great reg- I have four of them and I still want one more.

I thought you had at least 6 regs. :wink:

TheRedHead:
Generally the most experienced divers prefer simple, modular, high quality gear.

The more experienced divers can use a Pink Barbie set and out perform us newer guys.

I hear older dive masters talk so much smack about new products that I wonder how much of it is pure bias and fear of change. I know there is much wisdom in the experience of hundreds of dives, but human nature is resistant to change what already works and that’s a fact of life.

I think Mares has an excellent product line and personally I am proud to tout their equipment wherever I go. I definitely agree that the Abyss might be better for you on those cold dives, but I will definitely get that Limited Edition Morphos Metal Tech BCD for the simple fact of how sweet it looks. There are really not that many companies out there that put out just pure crap that you need to fear as much as some people like to make it seem. If you put some money into your gear you should come out ahead, it’s only when you pay 30$ for a BC and decide the company cheated you when it breaks a few months down the road.

do it easy:

I'm not a big fan of the limited edition stuff and they wouldn't be my first choice. My preference is for less bells and whistles. For me, simpler is more betterer.

Also, if you are picking brands based on what your LDS carries, you might consider trying to buy it from them. They might offer a discount if you buy a package. I think Larry is a stand up guy, but having a relationship with your dive shop might be useful.

I'm a young guy and work hard to scrape out a living. My LDS's prices are much higher than Joe and Larry's. I took my course through them, will get my gear maintained by them, and have bought some smaller items such as a $40 underwater camera, dive knife, and a underwater light, but for the big ticket items it's all about economics for me. Thank you all for the advice.

Definitely speak with Larry about where you're going to be diving and hear what he has to say. He knows what he's talking about.

When I bought my gear, Larry helped me put together a package that wasn't one of their "standard" ones and I'm thrilled with everything I have. He was a huge help to me and the customer service I've received in the ensuing years has made me a very loyal customer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom