Opinions required for Reg Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parheric

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've read alot on first timers or people using new regs and thought I'd get some input into a pending purchase. I'm very inexperienced (5 dives) but want some gear that will take me into intermediate diving. Some criteria i'm looking at...

- simplicity of repairs (i want to learn how to repair my own regs... eventually if not straight away).
- life, i'd like to get atleast 5 years out of the reg.
- multi-purpose (i've read of some regs freezing up, even thou at this stage I don't do cold diving, doesn't mean i might try in the future)
- DIN First stage (While LDS seems to have mostly Yoke tanks for hire, DIN seems best, and i'll get a Yoke connector).
- small, i like smaller regs thats my 'cool' factor.
- I'd like to get for under AU$500 (approx $400US). This includes basic occy.

I've read of Apeks and they look to be the bee's knees however, probably a bit too much out of my price range.

I'm looking at two regs, the first being the Zeagle DSV/ZX Regulator http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ZGLDS4I.html because its fair price, comes with adaptor and has dry first stage (enviro protect?!?). Zeagle supplier is about 40mins drive from here, but I hope to be able to service it myself eventually.

The second is the Oceanic O2 Tech http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_category_35 but i'm wondering if this is excess to needs (i'd gladly take the CDX3 or 5 but they don't come stock with DIN connection). Also, LDS is Oceanic supplier (thou the cost is 2x that of internet) for repairs.

Are these ok, or should I be looking at cheaper gear until I get more dives under my belt. Any suggestions given the criteria above?

Thanks - Leon

Personally I'm a fan of Scubapro regs. I use MK25/S600's for most of my diving. I also own a pair of ATX200's and other than breathing wet like them as well.

You might want to look at the MK25/G250 by Scubapro.
http://www.scubapro.com/prod/erog/erogatori/MK25G250/MK25G250.htm

With that said I believe the Zeagle regs may still be or at least were made by Apeks.

As far as getting cheap regs starting out: Remember this and your backup are two pieces of life support that have to be reliable. They need to take abuse and still work at all depths. All my primary regs are the same as my backups and they are the same as my deco regs. They are all top grade regs. It would be better for you to rent regs until you can afford to by the highest quality regs you can afford.

At this point you don't need to worry about diving in freezing conditions, so your regs don't need to be cold water regs. Should you find yourself diving beneath Antartic ice, well then you get all the regs you will need then for that trip (for doubles, travel and deco gas regs).

ScubaPro get rave reviews also, but I'm yet to find one with a stock DIN connection. Or is this just a matter of asking for one with DIN + Yoke Connection and paying a gap in cost?

parheric:
ScubaPro get rave reviews also, but I'm yet to find one with a stock DIN connection. Or is this just a matter of asking for one with DIN + Yoke Connection and paying a gap in cost?
You should be able to order them all DIN. I did for all of mine. I did buy a yoke adaptor - but can't remember what I paid for it.

I know that cave divers like the G250 because they can service them underwater. Another factor is that most SP regs can be serviced in most dive centers around the world because they are so popular.

I have 2 Zeagle DS-V/ ZX with Envoy octo. I love them, I was very surprised at how smooth they breath and their adjustability is fantastic. I have yet to try and work on them but, until I am trained to do so I don't plan on it either. They're price is wonderful as well.

I dive with an Aqua Lung Legend LX ACD and love it. The price is right around your limit and they had a special going where you got a free Octo. I don't know if that's still on. You can get the supreme model for cold water. If the price is too high, the Titan is excellent. This is life support, get the very best you can afford.

Yes to the Zeagle, but talk to Scubatoys.com re your best price. They are authorized dealers with a lot of leeway and are great to deal with. I'm waiting for my yoke DS-V from them to replace the DIN w/ yoke adaptor one they sent me last week. The DIN w/ Yoke adaptor just stuck out to far (that's what they do). I'll just get the DIN conversion kit, but right now I'm in Florida with 2 yoke-only valves. It seems like Zeagle and Scubatoys (and DiveRite) are in the vanguard of something.

Given that you are in Australia, I'd be careful about shopping online at US stores. Make sure check how much customs charges are going to be if you decide to go that route...

Thanks again, after reading O2 manual seems its really not what I'm after, but its good to know about Zeagle, but a spew that LDS is only registered to service Oceanic/ScubaPro/Mares/Sherwood and warrenty for Oceanic/ScubaPro.

I'm looking at MK25/S600 too but bit more than i was wanting to spend. I'm wondering how the Zeagle stacks up against the S600?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom