any computer hardware savvy people in the Ohana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
My lap top is giving me a hard time, I have to wiggle the plug in the socket of the computer for it to work. I have already tried a new plug and it doesn't work at all with that. From what the folks at CompUSA told me the plug it attached to the motherboard and will be trouble....Can some one help me just get the data off for now?

If you want to bring it over here I'll be glad to help ... sry, I'm just being ornery :wink:

Do you have a CD burner in it? If so run the files and settings transfer wizard (part of Windows XP) as it does a pretty good job transfering data. Either way you'll have to reinsall programs though.

Best of luck to you.

Aloha, Tim

The hard drive should be removable, and is likely one of a couple standard laptop formats.

What model of laptop is it? Given that, I can give you better instructions as to how to remove it and whether it will just "fit" into another machine.

Any computer tech can pull the drive and slave it to another computer that you have so you can pull the data off. Even if all you have is a desktop computer. It's probably a 2.5" drive, but the power and drive connectors are standard. Or will be with a cheap adapter cable. Then you can buy a mounting bracket for it and leave it in the other computer as another drive. Store all your images on it or whatever.

Or take it to CompUsa, they can crack it open, remove the drive, slave it to one of their repair pc's and burn your data onto CD's/DVD's. I wouldn't necessarily try to install it in another laptop, they usually only have room for one drive at a time.

Later, if it's a pretty big drive (40-60GB) or so, you can buy a little external drive housing for about $30-40 at CompUsa, install the drive and have a portable external hard drive you can take on trips etc. It's useful for moving lots of data between computers.

My thoughts were more a swap with a working computer -- that way it's the same data, software and settings.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd be trusting CompUSA or similar big-box stores to handle stuff like this -- the ones we have around PG are minimum-wage flunkies that barely know their screwdriver from *ahem*.

yeah, you should just be able to put the HardDrive in another computer and take care of it. (LIttle more complicated than this but not much).

I'd think a quick search on the internet could tell you how to do it. I'll try to post some links in an hour or 2.

Back
Top Bottom