Plane Off Service Club Venice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2TH DIVR

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Went out of Service Club today and went west. In about 19' I came across the remains of a plane, part of the fuselage. It is aluminum frame and skin. There were a couple of hydraulic cylinders, couldn't find any remains that would indicate the cockpit area.
Maybe a training plane that went down when Venice was a training base?
Has anyone else happened to find this? I have been diving Service Club for 7 years and this is the first time I have come across this. I know there is a the remains of a steel barge and a twin engine wooden pleasure boat out there.

Conditions today were;
temp 86
vis <1' before the sandbar 4'-5' after the reef line

one small worn meg today & about 30 small teeth

don't know much about the area, but if you post pictures I might be able to help identify the aircraft type.

Our dive team was a part of a recovery effort there in, I think, 93 (it was before I joined the team). An aircraft went down shortly after take off, killing two. I think they made the recovery south of the pier, though. Wildbill told me that the body of the plane had been compressed to roughly the size of a pickup bed.

Thats kind of neat! Would it be possible to get some compass headings to these locations from an entry point? I think these would be a great addition to the Local Insider Info post as they would offer some variety to the usual 'tooth' dives. :)

Hey 2th, did you happen to take a bearing to a couple of points on the beach?

Better yet, Anyone with coords?

I know you said you went due West from Service Club, but thought you might have surfaced to verify the location.

I might head down there this weekend. With so many looking, maybe we can locate it.

What is the red tide condition?

DanBMW:
What is the red tide condition?

Today's official report, from samples this week, is medium at north jetty and Venice Beach, to high at service park and Venice Pier. We're in a period where you are hit or miss on any given day.

East winds increase the chances of a good day. And for what it's worth, the air has seemed better this week, even with SW wind, than it was a week ago.

No bearings.
Think I will take an extra float along on my dives and mark it, when I come across it again.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom