Sherwood Maximus Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maule

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some insight into this reg. Think I like the idea of the Moisture retention system. Anyone have any insight they want to share on the moisture retention system, as well as, the reg itself? Thanks in advance for any help you care to share.

Maule:
Looking for some insight into this reg. Think I like the idea of the Moisture retention system. Anyone have any insight they want to share on the moisture retention system, as well as, the reg itself? Thanks in advance for any help you care to share.

Personally, I'd opt for a conventional reg. like Apeks, Scubapro. Proper hydration before hand should eliminate drymouth. The dry-bleed first stage works well for recreational diving. But, in the end the second stage is not worth it (IMO). However, I am a tech. instr. so my opinions run towards keeping it simple and easy to fix.

In the early days - early 90's intro. (as best as I can remember) the underarm routing, as well as the flow adj. to the second stage and cutting into "O" rings made it a bother.

Maule:

I have an older 3600 series Maximus.. I have grown accustomed to the under arm routing and I find any others awkward anymore. It does help keep my mouth damp.

Be sure to tell your buddy that the first stage bubbles while diving or else he will think there is something wrong with it.

When it comes time to replace I will buy another.

I much prefer the under arm routing since it is more streamlined and even out of the box you have a longer hose for sharing. It is much more streamlined, and I find it much more comfortable than the regular over the shoulder, I always noticed that with the hose going over my shoulder I could feel it moving in the water column and it was a tad annoying. It seems that with the under the arm routing the reg staying in my mouth easier, it is less likely to be pulled to the side.

I have an older maximus also, and have found it to be the most comfortable reg I have ever used. The moisture retention system does work very well, the change from a normal reg to the maximus was a pretty big difference in dry mouth. One of the reasons it makes me sad that so many regs now have plastic and not metal in them. While I always make sure I over hydrate while diving, I still find the vanes to help with the just the basic overall comfort of the reg.

One thing that is very much personal and probably won't bother or be noticed by anyone else is that for me, when I use my maximus over my SP G250 is that the maximus seems to float a little better off my chin than the SP does. What I mean is that I can feel the SP on my chin sometimes and I never notice this with the maximus. This is not a big deal, but again it is something that I notice, and it becomes a little annoying to me.

The first stage is a very strong design and are pretty well bullet proof, also one advantage that I have seen is that you can get the sherwoods serviced just about anywhere.

I hated mine , for some odd reason the underarm hose snagged on my BCD. Now i have Diverites on a 7 foot hose , couldnt be happier.

terrasmak:
I hated mine , for some odd reason the underarm hose snagged on my BCD. Now i have Diverites on a 7 foot hose , couldnt be happier.

The only time I had that was one of my bungees unhooked and the BC bag flopped out of position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom