Very pleased with my Abyss from Scuba Toys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ordered it last week and got it a couple days later. Excellent service from Scuba Toys.
Used my old plastic Dacor for a trade in.
The first thing I noticed with it is the effortless breathing. Only took it down to 85 ft, but I barrel rolled, stood on my head, stared at the surface, and it breathed great the whole time. My Dacor would have a little resistance in certain attitudes. It was in a quarry, so I can't vouch for how well it will do in a strong current yet, but I don't think I'll have any problems.
The other great thing I noticed was that it retains moisture really well. By the end of a dive with my Dacor, my throat would get really parched. My Abyss doesn't do that at all. Nice and moist.
The one thing that kinda bugs me about the Abyss, is that the primary hose is attached to the rear lp port, and my octo attaches to the front port. Seems kinda backward. I went to switch them around, and found that the front and rear ports are different sizes, and the primary port has this small tube inside of it, so I couldn't switch them around with the existing hardware. Not sure what that's all about. Makes my hose routing awkward.

The Abyss is a great breather. I found it a little heavy. I used a Seacure mouthpiece to distribute the weight of the reg in my mouth. Worked great. There's a lot more bite area on the Seacure bits.

The only other downside to the reg is that I heard a whistling sound when breathing lightly. I think it is just from the air flow inside the reg and not a technical issue. However, I couldn't stand it as it was somewhat loud and I switched to the Proton Ice before going with my current SP MK25/S600.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom