Maui for 10 days over thanksgiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akajack

Registered
Reaction score
This will be the first trip for the family and myself to Hawaii. We are staying at the Hyatt Regency. Can those with experience tell me how far i'll be from good shore diving and boat operators. I plan on bringing most of my gear, I dive DIN Regs, will that pose a problem getting tank rentals? Thanks for any input. I am a California Beach Diver, so I can't wait for this experience. I am enjoying reading all the posts, but its becoming overwhelming. I definitely want to hit the Crater, but don't know if my claustrophobia will allow me to hit the cathedrals.
thanks
:)

The Hyatt on Maui, if I remember correctly, is on Kaanapali beach. There is some shore diving of of the beach; the best of it is at the other end at the Sheraton; the site is called Black Rock. there's usually not much surf in the area but wear those booties; there is coral and a rocky entry. Boat diving is about 1/2 hour away. Some boats leave from a dock near the intersection with the road that takes you down to Wialea. Other boats leave from Lahaina.
Maui has some fun diving, but it's not Bonaire or Coz as far as diving is concerned. there's lots of other stuff to do.

I like Maui diving! The dive "shop" that I prefer is Ed Robinson because of the personal service. They leave from Kihei at 6:30 AM and that means a very early morning for someone staying at Kaanapali! Another choice is Mike Severns, but he can be a little dictatorial! His wife, on the other hand, is a wonderful dive master! They, too, leave from Kihei early in the AM.

Two dive shops that have greater customer to DM ratio (i.e., less "personal service") are Lahaina Divers and Maui Dive Shop. They also leave from Kihie for most of their dives, but have some departures from Maalaea Harbor, closer to Kaanapali. Tropical Divers used to leave from Maalaea, too, but I have not dived with them for many years and do not know their current status.

I am very fond of the back wall of Molokini and would dive it as many times as I could! The beauty and diversity of the sealife there is a delight! Ask if the shop is going over to Lanai, a 9 mile boat ride from Maui. The diving there is wonderful, as well. One warning though: the reason most Maui dive shops have such early departures are the PM Trade Winds; they can make for a very rough boat ride in the afternoon. A late trip to Lanai might feature some adventurous boat reentries and very bouncy return trip to the harbor!

Another dive site that is good is La Perouse. Lots to see, including turtle cleaning stations. Keep a sharp eye on the coral as you fin along and you might see some snowflake eels!

Have fun!

Scorpionfish

I will be diving with Ed Robinson's in May 2003. They were highly recommeded by people on this board and by others I have talked to.

Scorpionfish,

How long of a drive is it from Kaanapali to Kihei early in the am?

jhnetc,

It depends on traffic, but 30-45 minutes would be a reasonable estimate. Sometimes traffic can back up at the narrow "pass" north of Maalaea and at the turn off to Kihei.

About the 6:30 start for Robinson--that is check-in time and, so, you can be a little late. They usually do not actually launch the boat until about 7:00 or so. However, as surely as I write this, someone will show up late and get left behind, cursing me and my progeny!

Scorpionfish

hi,
we dive that area fairly frequently. hope this gives you some leads to start...

definitely check out the "extended horizons" boat/crew (i think website is the same name, i am sure you can find it in a search engine). clean boat, nice people groups moderately sized and i think i remember seeing at least one DIN tank on the boat - you could probably make arrangement for more. they make mostly runs straight across to lanai and they always take the extra time (and fuel) to go further around to the back side of the island if thats what it takes to find the best conditions (unlike some of the shop boats i've been on). the boat leaves early (because of the trades, like the earlier post mentions) but from mala wharf (about a ten minute drive from where you are staying. you will most likely have to make the _really_ early drive to kihei one morning to catch a boat out to molokini (do it early in the trip before you've adjusted to the time change - makes getting up so early easier). but spend the rest of your 'boat' money on lanai (imho).

good warm up for your buddy team with a simple sloping out and in reef with great public facilities (read freshwater showers) try "airport" beach.

some good shore dives to ask for, for starters.. (ie i would and have gone back multiple times after once with a guide... but there are more spectacular - and harder to get to spots so ask around):

black rock (you're staying right near it) is a great dive _especially_ at night (once you do it once with a guide it's easy to repeat with a buddy). enter from the golf course "back side" and continue on around to the beach side for your exit if air permits (the snorkelers will be so jealous when you come around the bend :)

the old mala wharf piers (sunken - like a wreck) often with a couple of white tiped reef sharks hanging out underneath - also, if your there right after a storm, check out the bottom for any _old_ beer bottles - some are worth $$ as they were thrown over decades ago when the wharf was still standing.

slaughterhouse (nasty set of stairs to the beach - seems like a hundred +) but have seen pods of dolphins in the bay and a ton of turtles

for the slightly more advanced (because of the 2' rock exit)... scenic point (you literally pull of the road by the tunnel on the highway and hike down - and up- the cliff.) but neat critters because of the steep drop off - always seem to see a new fancy nudibranch on that dive - but you've gotta look hard :). fyi - the exit on this dive is inherently challenging, you should do this dive with a guide.

Off topic, but best vacation"eats" to seek out: hula grill (in the whalers village) - firecraker mahi mahi is the best! maui taco's down the highway (kahana? honokawai? don't remember - but heading that direction) makes a great lunch. pacific fish co. on the main drag in downtown lahaina has the best fresh fish and 'coolers' half a block up from the waterfront on one of the side streets has an eclectic menu (if you like peanuts, try the pasta in peanut sauce - to die for). for a really romantic dinner with the best sunset around, make a reservation (several days or more in advance for the sunset seating) at the plantation restaurant in the clubhouse at the golf course at kapalua (15 min drive from you).

enjoy your trip! hope this helps. (by the way, i don't know if it will be like last year right after 9/11 or if it is just a mini "low season" right before all the travel in and around the holidays, but we were there the two weeks right after thanksgiving and it was like having your own private island).

I grew up on Maui and work there as a dive guide/instructor for many years.
I could go on all day about the great spot, secret spots etc.
most of the stuff has been covered. but i will highlight

Hyatt Beach or canoe beach it is a great family beach, We would go there every daqy and hang out, good little wave to play in and a very nice beach, most the locals on west Maui hang out right next tpo the Hyatt at Canoe Beach,
I used to live on a boat just out front of the Westin right next door, Black Rock is a great beach dive, with lots of fish and great family fun.

Cathederals will not make you closturphobic it is a good dive and you don't want to miss it.

Molokini is where I worked every day. it is a great dive site, deffinetly go with a six pack boat as you will get much better service.

Turtle Rock on Molokia is where all the schooling Hammerheads live. i think the only ones going there is CPD, if you can do this dive do it it is amazing to see several 100 hammerheads swimming around

also stop by the harbor in Lahaina and book yourself a sunset sailing trip on the Scotch Mist. ask for Gene Perkins as your Captain, tell him Doug Harwood [Radar] said to stop by and say hi

what ever you do stay off the cattle boats, this might be hard to do for Cathederals but Molokini Island should not be a problem. Ed Robinsons is probably the best, spend a day in Lahaina and ask around

Maui is a wonderfull place to bring the family and the kids, ask your hotel about having your kids try out scuba at Black Rock, it will be a great adventure

Back
Top Bottom