Had a close call because of your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matjo1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Have you ever had an equipment problem underwater? How did you react to it? How did you fix it? I would like to compile a list of all possible equipment problems or malfunction. Please feel free to elaborate, I want to know everything! How fast does a tank drain when a burst disk goes? What about a LP hose? A HP hose? How big is the bubble wash with a burst tank o ring? Please feel free to direct me to appropriate threads.

During my DM class, we were doing out of air simulations. My dive buddy, after turning off my air for the simlation, went to turn my air back on. Instead of turing my tank valve, he turned my wireless transmitter (for my computer) right off. Very impressive, and very LOUD next to my head. The HP port though, is resricted, so even if you lose a HP hose, it will take a while before all of your air is lost.

Also my remote exhaust valve failed on my wings, and I couldnt inflate them. I had to ditch my weights to maintain buoyancy at the surface.

Tienuts:
During my DM class, we were doing out of air simulations. My dive buddy, after turning off my air for the simlation, went to turn my air back on. Instead of turing my tank valve, he turned my wireless transmitter (for my computer) right off. Very impressive, and very LOUD next to my head. The HP port though, is resricted, so even if you lose a HP hose, it will take a while before all of your air is lost.

Also my remote exhaust valve failed on my wings, and I couldnt inflate them. I had to ditch my weights to maintain buoyancy at the surface.
I think that Curt Bowen did/posted some research on this, and I think it was about 90 seconds to drain an AL80 from the LP side and 22 minutes to drain an AL80 from the HP side.

I don't recall the times for the burst disk failure...

I had a deco reg with a loose second stage once- I opened the tank valve to pressurize the reg to switch to it and I immediately saw bubbles gushing form the second stage fitting. I shut the deco tank down, switched to my bungeed backup, screwed the loose second stage back on, and pressurized it to test it... it worked after that.

I blew out a burst disc while filling a HP 100. (someone put a valve in from an LP tank) it took about 1.5 minutes to empty the tank. I'm not sure how long it would take in the water. I would also guess it may depend on whether or not the hole disc popped out. The one on my tank was no where to be found.

Control bar, top of the page just beneath where it says "Welcome, Matjo1"...

Third button from right is Search, click on it then click on Advanced Search...

You can enter keywords such as "HP hose failure", "SPG failure", "Tank Valve O-ring", etc. to find many threads in the archives on both real world incidents as well as research, Bowen's among others. You may have to try different combinations of words, however, there are tons of threads in the archives that would no doubt be of interest to you.

Regards,

Doc

I've researched burst disc failures and have found only a few incidences reported. A problem with a yoke o-ring is much more likely to happen. Even then, it is more likely to happen when you pressurize the tank.

Tamas, did you have back up sandals? If you don't get your sandals serviced regularly, YOU COULD DIE. :D

TheRedHead:
Tamas, did you have back up sandals? If you don't get your sandals serviced regularly, YOU COULD DIE. :D

I did actually have backup footwear (not on a bungie around my neck though) and was able to deploy it within minutes saving myself from another possible killer pebble attack....but these were my favourite 15 year old, comfy, swamp creature scented Jesus slippers.....RIP my old friend.

Who knows, maybe it was better they went -- at least this way, the others around me didn't die. :D

My first dive on the Hydro Atlantic way back in the dark ages was done with a single tank and a hang bottle. Chasing a large black grouper under the bow that I didn't get a shot at put me way farther into deco and lower on air than planned, so I was forced to use my hang bottle. The second breath from it the exhaust mushroom valve split and I saw half of it drifting down current. Needless to say the reg was suddenly breathing more than a bit "wet."

I ripped the exhaust tee off the reg, discarding it, and replaced the exhaust valve with my thumb while holding on to the hang line and my speargun with the other hand. Right long 30 minute hang before the bend-o-matic cleared lifting my thumb when I wanted to exhale, and pressing it on the port when I wanted air which kept most of the water out of the mouthpiece.

BTW if anyone diving the Hydro Atlantic gets blown off that tee fits a SP109 second stage. It should be 200 to 300 hundred yards north of the wreck.

FT

Back
Top Bottom