Basic Scuba Equipment Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We just went over what entry level training costs. What do you estimate a full set of gear (for colder water diving, e.g. full wet suit with hood) should cost? I just got done with a pair of privates and their gear was betwen $2500 and $2600 each, including a custom wet suit, nitrox computer and tank. I'd rather not debate the pros and cons of brands and models, just have a raw number for what you think a basic suite of gear would (or did) cost.

mask fins snorkel boots = up to $400 (all of this is varying on brand, markup, etc.)

BCD, reg, octo, stages & gauges, package = btw $1,000-3,000+ (computer could be a HUGE part of this variation)

wetsuit(s) = $200-750

drysuit = $1,000-3,000+

weight system (belt? weights?) the least of your expense

separate wrist computer = $500-1,500 or more

misc. knife, slates, whistles, lights, etc. = up to $500 +

wow, I've lost track of the cost and also of other gear that might be deemed necessary!

NOT TO MENTION additional education/training.

I don't think you can ask this question without expecting some debate. I'd look up what you like on ScubaToys or LeisurePro or just Scuba.com. If you buy it at LDS then plan on paying more.

I'm a fan of the LDS route provided they offer good service.

We debate all those questions all the time. How about a number? Either about what you spent or the estimate you give your students.

Thanks Jonix, that's the spirit.

Thalassamania:
We just went over what entry level training costs. What do you estimate a full set of gear (for colder water diving, e.g. full wet suit with hood) should cost? I just got done with a pair of privates and their gear was betwen $2500 and $2600 each, including a custom wet suit, nitrox computer and tank. I'd rather not debate the pros and cons of brands and models, just have a raw number for what you think a basic suite of gear would (or did) cost.

Pretty much bang on what I tell people. I just set a guy up with wing/bp reg and 2 tanks no wetsuit and the personal gear was purchased earlier.and your price is much in line.

Ron

If you can get a few guys together and buy at once you may get a better deal. I purchased new regs with two other buddies and one of the lads got the complete outfit. Because we were a package he got his kit for about $1800 (no computer, just console) and our reg sets were about $325 for 1st, primary, backup and console.

I came up with a smaller number (not counting mask, fins, booties)

BP/W - $500
Nitrox wrist computer - $400
Regs w/spg - $600
7 mm suit - $400
AL 80 - $130

$2030. I can how misc. items could run up the total to $2500.

I think for most people, two tanks make more sense than one (at least here in MA), so you'd need to take that into consideration (also a lot more for steel than AL). That said, I think I came in just under $2000 before tanks (probably closer to $1700 including a Gekko).

BP/W - $500
Nitrox wrist computer - $400
Regs w/spg - $600
7 mm suit - $400
AL 80 - $130

This seems very accurate. The Suunto mosquito is a little less that $400, and makes for a great nitrox computer. Save money any way possible. I have also seen farmer john/jacket/hood/gloves packages (*cough* Leisurepro) for less that $400.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom