nikonos 105

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A. J. Shark

Reaction score
I have a nikonos 105 that I got for Christmas and am still not any good at taking pic's, any tips??
- A. J.

AJ,

You did not mention what camera you are using and whether other strobe(s) produced satisfactory photos with it. If so, it could be the strobe. Nikon had some problems with the 105, but they were seal problems, if I remember correctly. Thus, the strobe would fail and not flash at all. Does your strobe flash?

You can test the strobe by taking some terrestrial photos with it. If you have a Nikonos, or S&S, use the lens that works on land (35mm or 80mm with the Nikonos) and take some indoor photos with the TTL setting. If they photos do not turn out, the problem is very likely a malfunctioning strobe.

If the strobe does work, it could be that you are aiming incorrectly. Remember that subjects look closer than they actually are underwater. So, you need to aim beyond the apparent location of the subject. I do not know how much experience you have with U/W photography, so if this sounds too elemental, please forgive me. If your experience is limited, you can "practice" by taking some U/W photos of your fins. That way you will know the distance exactly and can get used to the kind of adjustments needed U/W. Of course, they will be pretty boring photos and your fellow divers may think you are a little "off"! Many books on U/W photography suggest trying new equipment out in a pool: if you have one available, that is a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Scorpionfish

it's a Nikonos V 105 and yes the strobe works
I will try to download some pics and see if you can tell what Iam doing wrong
thanks

Hello,

Need to know several things, what area your diving in, what the subject your shooting, what lens you are using, what film you are using and what methods you are shooting. All these make a HUGE difference.

Most of the time my 105 will stay dry. Perhaps the biggest tip anyone can give is embrase the ambient.

Ed

I am trying to shoot anything that I can
using a macro lens
Fugichrome sensia 100 for color slides
:eek:ut:
hope that helps
thanks

Hello,

Well macro lens i'm assuming 80mm nikkor? or is this the 28/35 with tubes? If it's the 80mm then I would recomend a new lens. If it's tubes then your subject matter is limited to the very small framer.

Ed

Mr. Shark,

If by "macro", you mean extension tubes + a normal lens or a Nikonos Close-up Kit, then aiming the strobe should be no problem: you are just pointing it right at the framer, right?

Normally, then you

(1) set the ISO setting one ISO number higher than the actual ISO,
(2) Close the aperature all the way,
(3) set the shutter for 1/60 sec.,
(4) set the focus on infinity,
(5) set the 105 on TTL,
(6) aim and shoot.

Immediately after taking the photograph, look at the full-power light: if it is flashing, open the aperature one stop. If your current problem is photos that are too dark (underexposed), this will solve the problem.

If your current problem is photos that are too light (overexposed), then you are probably not stopping the lens down all the way. Since the 105 is so powerful and the distance is so small, it is very important to stop the lens all the way down as the starting point for macro.

One more item: if you are using the 80mm UW Nikkor, do get a different lens, preferably the 28mm or 20mm. The 80mm UW Nikkor is almost impossible to use. The depth of field is so shallow, that focusing it requires extreme care. Very, very few photographers have successfully used it U/W.

Scorpionfish

Hello,

One addition. Use 1/125 if you want to black the background and 1/60 to show the background. If the strobe fires on full power (blinks) then move the strobe CLOSER to the subject. If you change any of the exposure settings you'll create a different image.

Also keep in mind the DOF on that is paper thin so be cautious.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom