U/W MP3 player - closeout deal from iRiver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webhead

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Fellow divers,

I wanted to share a great deal on u/w mp3 players from iRiver that I heard about on another diver's forum. I ordered a few units and have to say this is a real deal.

https://secure17.nexternal.com/shar...usType=BtoC&Count1=951900660&Count2=869041085

Go to the underwater section for mp3 players. Or do a web search for iriver america if this link doesn't work.

So why is this a good deal? My list of reasons.

This is essentially the same unit I tried in the Caymans over a year ago when they were selling for over $300.

Only $40 for the 128 meg version - only about 2 hours of noise. :11doh:

The features are very nice - adjustable equalizer, fm tuner and built in recorder for line in, fm or voice - has a built in mic

Also, there is a firmware upgrade that makes the unit look like a flash drive when connected via usb to the pc - i.e. no drivers or software to load to move mp3 files. This makes is very friendly for dive trips when you want to share those Jaws theme songs.

And, the housing is rated to 200 feet. :D Not going to make it on all my deco dives but not a bad start.

I can't claim finding this deal myself - read about it on another diving forum but after getting mine and playing with it, I had to share.

Nor can I claim the idea of testing this in the bath tub..... :11:

Hmm, all I find is a $99 deal with both housing and player that's rated to 10 feet, or a $30 housing/player combo, with 64MB storage. I'm a tech-idiot, but I think 64MB is practically nothing in today's market, correct?

Edit: Whoops, ok, now I see the other one you referred to. Just looks like they're their outdated models?
Can you let us know your experience with it overall--software, actual underwater, etc? I'd love to hear more......

Sure. Software, well, there is this handy program to move files back and forth. And even a program call mood match or mood something - suppose to organize the tunes by type/mood of music. But I prefer the simply way. Look for UMS on the support/download page on the iRiver web site and you can then copy files by a simply drag and drop from any pc.

Sound is very good, in and out of water. The housing has an amp that runs on a 9volt battery. MP3 player takes one A battery. Together, the sound is very loud, something a teen can really appreciate.

So yes, the memory on these are limited, very limited compared to today's mp3 players that take SD cards up to 4 gig in size. And it is clear that these are no longer made and being closed out. You do get a spare o ring just in case you need it later.

They do work underwater, buttons and all. I don't like the clip on headphones but you can take the clips off and tuck the headphones under your mask strap. That works pretty good.

What I don't like is that you have to use their mp3 player, not designed for use with whatever you currently use. Make sense since the housing is molded. And their mp3 player is fixed memory which I've never understood with the availability of SD, MMC or other flash cards. But if anyone knows if/how to swap out the flash chip to something larger, that would be a great hack to have.

My reason for liking it is that I tried one once. I thought it was a nice little gadget that no one really needs but it does make that hour of deco go by faster when you do have it. But the price reminded me of the segway. Having one showed you had too much free money to spend. Probably why they didn't sell many of them. And now that I can get it at over 85% off, well, I bought one.... or two....

Just got my $40, 200 foot deep special in the mail today. Pretty cool, I can't wait to test it out next weekend.

ordered..... enough.... christmas is coming up... and if i can look really good by giving what appears to be 300$ presents so be it

Here's part of the description of it: "Listen to music, underwater audio tours and more."

What the heck is an underwater tour? Is that instead of having a DM guided dive? What would be on it? "And on your left is that famous loved character, Nemo". "Look out for that reef shark, Nemo!"

I just saw one of these last week in Florida. I wasn't sure whether I should believe the price. Checked out iriver but couldn't find it. So thanks for posting the link. I've ordered a few, one for me and the others for family divers.

A solution to a nonexistant problem. Prolly why they never sold. Total waste of money IMHO.
I just ordered one.:D

Just got mine. Man that housing is large. Where are you going to carry it on dives? (Be nice!!)

BTW, If you use WMA files instead of mp3s you will be able to get more songs on the player. I have usually done this with players with smaller memory.

Flea Dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom