Cave diving in ontario!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's some nasty ones around Tobermory.....Not knowing your training or experience level...I'd recommned lots of training and experience in easier caves before attempting those...

I hear that there is a decent little cave in the wall at Bon Echo with the entrance something about the size of a VW Beetle, ending in a fairly cavernous room, all adorned with the ancient drawings of the natives on the walls. That is from a good source and I don't know much more than that.

weight_for_me !!

Can you put me in touch with your source?
I have dived the Bon Echo wall on Mazinaw Lake several times and never heard of such a cave.

I have some Native diver friends who would like to check it out
Pleae send me a PM if you'd prefer not to go public.

Mike D

:blfish:

The cave is about 200 yard north of the narrows at about 70' depth, its the only one I,ve found. Its dark tea coloured water and not worth the risk. hard to find a spot to hang a reel safely. vis about 5' with a good light. I never seen any ancient paintings.

Somehow I can't see a ancient native holding his breath that long, and the paint would get wet :wink:

There could be another cave But I haven't seen it.

ps. photo is of me standing in the Narrows at Bon Echo

Mike...I sent you a PM with the details as I know them. With reference to Divedude's comment, I believe the paintings were done before the dam was built when the normal water level was much lower. And anyway, they probably used water-based paints:arrow:
I think I smell an excursion to Bon Echo!!!
Randy...

weight_for_me once bubbled...

I think I smell an excursion to Bon Echo!!!
Randy...

If you want to pick a date and want somemore folk....jest call!

Ontario Dive....no problem....will put you on the "official" guest list. Mike, I will be seeing my contact on Wednesday and will try to get that name and address for you. I hope it works out because seeing something like that would be awesome. BTW, my buddy also told me about a "hole" up there that is VERY deep. Not something I'd like to try but would certainly be interested in seeing it. I'll keep everyone "posted"
:shark:

Update on Bon Echo.
Hey Mike, I talked to my "source" last night and he informs me that the guy he got the information from moved out west about 5 months ago..destination unknown. Anyway, I quizzed him some more and found out the following. The cave is right where I PM'ed you about Mike. If you go north to where the cliff slopes down to the water, there are a couple on big rocks at the waters edge. Out about 8 metres from them is "the hole"; very black, very deep.
I also found out about another cave up there. When you drive north on 41 (?) just before Mazinaw there are 2 small lakes, one on each side of the road. The one on the east side has a boat launch. If you enter the water at the launch and swim east, you will come across another cave within 10 metres.
Hope this info is good...my friend wouldn't BS me about it and he has spent a lot of time on the Mazinaw.
Randy...

Thanks for the confirmation check regarding the location of the cave in Mazinaw Lake.

However I spoke to another source, who clamies to know of the cave. His directions are 30 feet deeper and 100 feet farther north than yours.

This is the usual problem problem. Unless you cantake some one to the spot, verbal directions are sometimes confusing and inaccurate, base on estimated distances, not true measurements
or landmarks.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom