So many divesites...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suzana2

Registered
Reaction score
...and they all sound so amazing and I'd like to go everywhere but the wallet just want stretch that far, so where to go where to go?!?

It's my first time in Egypt and I have got as far as deciding I'm gonna go for a liveaboard trip, in the southern part. So now the tuff part, what itinery to go for, these seems to be the main divesites; Elphinstone, Brothers, Deadalus, Fury shoals, Abu dabab, Samadai, St Johns, Rocky Island, Zarbagad.

I generally like diving in places with healthy reefs and LOTS of fish life, like shoals of fish big and small, colourful sites, and it's seems out of fashion these days to like "the big stuff", but yeah seeing some rays, sharks, turtles, dolphins etc is the icing on the cake for me. So taking this into account I generally like open water sites, i.e. far off shore with some current. Problem is many of the sites in the above list sound like they would fit the bill so I'm still non the wiser. Please help with any suggestions and experiences. I'm going in Oct/early Nov if that makes any difference.

Just two quickies as well: I've done PADI Advanced and I've done close to a hundred dives but the last one was just over a year ago, will I have to do some sort of refresher before the liveaboard? Or can I do it on the boat if required?

I'll be backpacking through Egypt before will I be able to just turn up in Marsa Alam and get on a boat in the next couple of days or do you have to book in adavance?

Many thanks!

Suzana,
The best itinerary, IMHO, is the golden triangle (Brothers, Deadalus, Elphinstone). You won't need a refresher, as the first dive on the boat is usually a checkout.

You can't just pop-up in Marsa Alam. Advanced booking is required because the boats have schedules and minimum number to sail. In case you need help with booking, PM me.

Suzana

I agree with Asser. Judging by your description it sounds like Brothers-Deadalus-Elphinstone is your best option. Your chances of seeing the "big stuff" (besides dolphins) are better there than on the other spots you mention, perhaps with Rocky Island as the exception. October should be better than november, that's when the wind usually picks up a bit. Especially Brothers and Deadalus are very sensitive to weather.

With some luck, it's possible to get last minute space on location, but then you might be left to what's available at the moment. It's better to book in advance to make sure you get the itinerary you want.

good luck

/christian

Thank you for the information. So in the beginning of November - is the weather so rough that dives could be cancelled at Deadalus Brothers etc? I'm not prone to sea sickness so that's not a worry but of course I'm there to dive, the companies still seem to schedule trips throughout the year, so how common is it that dives do get cancelled?

We were hoping to go in oktober but it seems to be getting pretty full on most boats, especially for the suggested "simply the best itenary". I've checked the sites for Tony Backhurst, Emperor divers and Oonas, and a couple of other tour companies who all seem to be selling the same trips as the three above. Are there any other fleets of boats / operators in the south that I'm missing?

Thanks again!

Deadalus and Brother Islands offer very little protection, so you always stand the risk of diving being cancelled due to bad weather (boats just can't moor safely) - no matter what month. As winter comes along, statistically there's more wind. But there are trips conducted year round and most of them go witout any problems. I wouldn't worry too much about beginning of november, but if you have the chance, book for october.

Generally the sudanese red sea is more prolific and diverse than the Egyptian red sea. In layman terms - diversity of speices is slightly better and the quantity of sea life is also better. Most noticably, big schools of e.g. barracuda and jacks are much more common. Viz. is usually a little less in Sudan compared to off shore Egypt and the soft coral in e.g. Sinai and also on Brothers are exceptional and hard to beat, even compared to Fiji!

But for Sudan you will need two weeks to make it worthwhile, inmo. And also the best time to go is march-may.

good luck

christian

Suzana,
the characteristics of a travelling backpacker are: plenty of time and small money in the wallet. In Marsa Alam lives and works my friend Danilo. He is a dive instructor and guides liveaboard trips. I don`t know his agenda in November, but this month does not longer belong to the peak of the season.
I suppose, Danilo can find an accommodation for some days to wait in the village and the space on a boat leaving from Marsa Alam, if you have no fixed date for embarkation.
I saw the reports from your other travel to Australia and Sikkim. I do not want to make publicity for all divers of such a last-minute-possibility. Give me a notice to Rembert@sds-swiss.com and I will make the contact with Danilo.
Ciao

Suzana2:
We were hoping to go in oktober but it seems to be getting pretty full on most boats, especially for the suggested "simply the best itenary". I've checked the sites for Tony Backhurst, Emperor divers and Oonas, and a couple of other tour companies who all seem to be selling the same trips as the three above. Are there any other fleets of boats / operators in the south that I'm missing?

There's one excellent new boat called Royal Evolution. It is the only boat that schedules Sudan trips out of Egypt. In October and November 2006, the Royal Evolution will do several southern Egyptian Red Sea trips. Examples are:
26th Oct - 2nd Nov: Brothers & Elphinstone
2nd Nov - 8th Nov: St.John (Fully Booked)
8th Nov - 15th Nov: Brothers, Deadalus, Rocky & St.John
15th Nov - 22nd Nov: St.John
22nd Nov - 29th Nov: Deadalus, Rocky, Zabargad & St.John (Fully Booked)

Drop me a line at asser@red-sea-shadow.com if you want the complete schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom