Mares Metal Tech LE vs. Scubapro MK17/S555

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am a new diver who will be diving primarly in Southern California. I recently got a great deal on a Mares Metal Tech LE regulator . My instructor has recommended I return that reg and get the Scubapro MK17/S555. The dive shop where I am taking my class does not sell the mares but does sell the Scubapro. I am skeptical if the Scubapro is that much better than Mares.

I plan on taking a Nitrox class and will be diving both Air and Nitrox in the future. Does have any thoughts on which is better?

nomoremacs:
I am a new diver who will be diving primarly in Southern California. I recently got a great deal on a Mares Metal Tech LE regulator . My instructor has recommended I return that reg and get the Scubapro MK17/S555.

As you already got it, makes no sense replacing it. Mares 2nd stage is all metal, I think, which is better (and more cool looking:)) than the plastic one on Scubapro. Both are balanced diaphragm 1st stages so performance should be more then decent.

If I needed to make a choice prior to the purchase, I'd go with Scubapro (currently diving two of their sets). But, since you already got it, Mares will do just fine also. More a matter of personal preference then anything else.

Keep it.

Scubapro are ok with up to 40% nitrox out of the box, don't know about Mares, but nowadays most manufacturers ship their regs nitrox ready from the factory. You should check the manual or their website for more info.

if i had a choice between a metal second stage and a plastic one metal wins everytime and i dive scubapro,great regs,mine are the older metal second stages. enjoy the mares,let me know how you like it.

Do you have somewhere local to service the Mares?

Most of the divemasters in Cozumel I know seem to be diving with old, probably inexpensive, Mares regulators. They dive everyday, usually a couple of dives, often to 100ft or deeper. Unless your reg is in really bad shape I'm sure it will suffice.

The Scubapro S555 is a balanced 2nd stage, can be made extremely easy breathing. Not sure, but I think all Mares are standard (non balanced) 2nd stages.

I wonder if there is a reason why the instructor recommended the Scubapro? Scubapro is generally considered a better regulator, yes. If you want to advance to technical diving, it would be a better choice.

owlbill:
The Scubapro S555 is a balanced 2nd stage, can be made extremely easy breathing. Not sure, but I think all Mares are standard (non balanced) 2nd stages.
Mares regulators are "self adjusting". Due to the great performance of the first stage, and vortex assist design "VAD" of the second stage the regs do not require and adjustable knob. All you have to do is put it in your mouth, and not worry about which way I'm adjusting my regulator. If you had a solid performer, why would you adjust it anyway?

Scubapro are ok with up to 40% nitrox out of the box, don't know about Mares, but nowadays most manufacturers ship their regs nitrox ready from the factory. You should check the manual or their website for more info.
Yes all Mares regulators in the U.S. and Canada are nitrox compatible not to exceed 40%.

Do you have somewhere local to service the Mares?
There are many dealers selling Mares in S. CA. Most of these stores service our products. If you would like recommendations, post a region that is close to you and we'll come up with some recommendations.

I wonder if there is a reason why the instructor recommended the Scubapro? Scubapro is generally considered a better regulator, yes. If you want to advance to technical diving, it would be a better choice.
I find this pretty arguable.

nomoremacs,

Bottom line is you've got a great regulator that will last you a long long time. Sounds to me as if this non Mares dealer is working pretty hard to sell you one of their products. While this may be a function of retailing, it sounds a little cheesey to me. I don't know why you didn't buy your regulator from them in the first place, but you didn't. IMO They should find a better way to earn your business rather than the methods they are using. Who knows what else you are going to purchase in the near future? Maybe a Scubapro BCD? Although I don't know why you'd do that either. :wink: Just my 2 cents. I hope you enjoy your new reg, and have a long fun diving career.

Best,

That Mares first stage is higher performance than the SP MK17.

Both the SP and the Mares seconds are well above average, if doing tech I like a adjustable, for recreational I don't care. The pneumatic balance means nothing, it is just marketing, air flow and overall work of breathing is what counts on a second stage and high responsive flow with small/no IP drop from the first stage, that can be accomplished Mares way, pneumatic balancing and our mechanical balancing for the second stage. Pneumatic balanced seconds are actually somewhat a cheat to make a regulator seem to breath better when the first stage has some less than optimal design "features"

If I was diving real cold(I'm Canadian so my real cold is just that, low 30's) I would choose the Mares over the SP.

Why didn't you get the Delta 4?, Then it wouldn't even be a question:D (little tease)

I recently got the Mares Proton Metal V-16. I could not be more pleased. The bigger retialers like Divers Direct and Scuba Toys sell them, so they are always attractively priced. The advantage of having Scuba Pro is that they are usually sold by the small shops. You will pay premium to buy anything at those places, but there may be one around when you need help. Let us know your instructor's reason for wanting you to sell out.

Back
Top Bottom