Equipment for a College Student on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BCDgirl

Registered
Reaction score
What are some favorite scuba brands for BC's that are reliable and resonable in price? And is it smart to buy any scuba equipment on ebay?

look for packages. Or, ask your LDS for a reg, bc, etc package.

I have found ebay to be a excellent source for BCDs with great savings as long as you don't mind older models (with some ugly). Many shops dispose of training and rental gear there. I would expect you can pick up a 10 year old Scubapro BC, faded from pool use, for under $50. Look for high volume scuba sellers and communicate with them to verify that it is in useable shape. Then, when you are ready to upgrade, you might even get your $50 back.

There's lots of use gear out there with a ton of life left in it. As was mentioned, you can get shops clearing out rental gear, people that have decided to upgrade or get out of scuba, etc. My original gear was 6 month old rental gear that my LDS was selling off. If you buy off of ebay, just be sure that you have a LDS near you that will be able to service that brand of gear. And it's never a bad idea to take any used gear in for a check up and a pool dive before you take it out in the open.
If you go new and buy from a authorized seller, you'll have the peace of mind of a warrenty there should the gear have a malfunction.
Ask around at LDS for what the best package they can offer. They may even have some used stuff available.
Watch on ebay to see what things go for used.
Then go with what ever option you feel most comfortable with within your means.

Ebay can be ok to buy on, but you're not going to get any warranty. And I know that at least some dive shops won't even service your gear if you haven't bought it from an authorized dealer. So ask your LDS before you buy.

I've got this link that talks about it a little bit. http://www.scubamazing.com/node/16

I've also put together a newsletter with some ideas on how to save money.

Some universities have a dive club, check your school, perhaps you're one of the lucky ones.

You've got to get to where you know people so you can get stuff for cheap. How do you think I've gotten all my gear LOL? :D

Many folks have great success with eBay purchases. I've never purchased any scuba gear that way though and I doubt I ever will. If I were trying to build a scuba outfit on a budget, I'd look in the classified section of your local paper first. Failing that, try a Saturday morning run of the yard sales - a friend of mine is always dragging back all kinds of stuff (and sometimes junk). You might also check to see if there are any local dive clubs in your area - sometimes they have a "for sale" section....

Whatever you buy used, please, ALWAYS have your LDS inspect it before you put your life on the line with it.

AstroDad:
Whatever you buy used, please, ALWAYS have your LDS inspect it before you put your life on the line with it.

Many people would disagree with this, for many different reasons. Specifically, I know several dive shops that don't want to deal with anything you bought on the net, because you didn't buy it from them. Another reason--I'm pretty good at inspecting my own equipment and would rather do that myself instead of trust someone else to deal with my own life support equipment. :wink:

SmileMon:
Some universities have a dive club, check your school, perhaps you're one of the lucky ones.
I actually do have a really well developed dive club at my univeristy. do you think i should just wait on getting equipment and just use the universities and see what type of equipment i like best? Im still pretty new to diving and im wondering if its smart to buy equipment this early.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom