Snorkels - This one's for Red<G>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Cave Diving Exempted!

1) Do you dive with a snorkel?
2) What kind (Make/model?) of snorkel?
3) Where do you carry your snorkel? Why?
4) Do you dive a long hose? Does your snorkel give you any trouble with deployment?

Always

Farallon (basic j-tube with moldable bites)

Attached to my mask strap almost at the back of my head with the snorkel wrapping to the left. I used to wear it on the right (in the old days there was a saying that "all air comes from the right," but it seems to make more sense on the left. While I know this is heresy in some quarters I enter the water with my snorkel in my mouth and that's one more way to keep from loosing my mask.

4) Do you dive a long hose? Does your snorkel give you any trouble with deployment?
I dive a long hose, and with a small amount of care I have no problem with deployment.

I do not dive with a snorkel.

OTOH, there are excellent reasons for having one available under certain circumstances. Survival, for example, would be one of these.

If I were taking a diving vacation trip to a remote or liveaboard destination, I think I might heed the words of advice in this article, specifically with respect to snorkels:

http://www.tabula-international.com/DIV/SMB3.html

See especially page 10 of 12, the Postscript dated October 2002, with respect to the ordeal suffered by Larry Tackett.

His conclusion is that having a snorkel (even a folding pocket snorkel) available can make a difference between surviving and not surviving if a diver is forced to swim on the surface for significant numbers of hours or days.

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc

I always dive with a snorkel... a Tusa Imprex Hyperdry (yes, it's old! about 10 years old!). It stays attached to my mask strap, on my right. No, I don't have a "long hose". My snorkel has never given me any troubles.

Sometimes. Prefer to not.

It's black with a dive flag sticker at the end. I simple tube, but with a flex lower so the mouthpiece hangs down out of the way.

If I take it, it's on my mask strap on my left. Bc if I end up needing it, that's where I'll need it to be.

Longer than most but not a true long hose. Routed under my right arm, there is no conflict.

I never "dive" with a snorkle.

I may snorkle with one. But I've found them to be of no use for the diving I do.

Which is to say, underwater.

---
Ken

1) Yes
2) Unknown
3) Attached to BP under the wing.
4) Yes & No

I view a snorkel as a piece of safety equipment when diving off shore.

No, unless conditions are 'rough'.

TUSA of some sort I think

Nope. My dives are shore dives and I typically in calm (read protected) waters.

Yes. I've used the snorkel with the long hose but don't enjoy it (was forced to during AOW and I actually used it during one rescue scenario).

Note: When I do decide to bring the snorkel it's in a pocket under my BP/W. I still dont have pockets on my drysuit, once I do it will probably go in one of them.

Sure

The biggest one I can find, with a tapered end

On my butt d-ring because it goes well with my horned beanie.

Only if I seriously misroute my hoses. :wink:

Always

Oceanic Pocket Snorkel

3) Where do you carry your snorkel?
In my pocket.

Why?
Because when it's im my pocket, I can't accidentally descend while using it, and it doesn't get snagged on anything.

No long hose. Jacket BC, steel 95, standard hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom